Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post ) Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Constant DoS
#
This announcement is regarding the recent bursts of downtime we keep having. It's ranged anywhere from 5 minutes to a 20 minutes over the past few days or so.

What is DoS?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial_of_service

In computer security, a denial-of-service attack (DoS attack) is an attempt to make a computer resource unavailable to its intended users. Typically the targets are high-profile web servers, and the attack attempts to make the hosted web pages unavailable on the Internet. It is a computer crime that violates the Internet proper use policy as indicated by the Internet Architecture Board (IAB).

DoS attacks have two general forms:

* Force the victim computer(s) to reset or consume its resources such that it can no longer provide its intended service.
    * Obstruct the communication media between the intended users and the victim so that they can no longer communicate adequately.

Not all service outages, even those that result from malicious activity, are necessarily denial-of-service attacks. Other types of attack may include a denial of service as a component, but the denial of service may be part of a larger attack.

This is what is causing the downtime. There are some site(s) which I believe are hosted that are getting attacked and causing downtime for everything.

Please remember that DoS is not dangerous, it is not hacking and doesn't cause data loss. What it DOES do is, it doesn't allow me to get the services to you because its gets clogged/flooded with bogus requests.

I apologize about this, however I am doing all I can to track who exactly is doing it, why, and what can be done to stop it.

Thank you for your patience.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
That sucks...

signature
QUOTE (Dead Midgets In "Dead Midgets Eats" topic)
Ledi51...is the freshest of fresh.
QUOTE (Jcink After Creation of Comic Forums)
tfbb is now 99.9% freshness fresher

STREAM SOME MUSIC
#
Have you figured out who's responsible?

signature
#
This really sucks sad.gif

signature
#
its ok i dont get downtime so take your time and catch them pricks
#
QUOTE (iBaLLiN @ March 24, 2007 08:30 pm)
its ok i dont get downtime so take your time and catch them pricks

You just aren't on your forum at the time I guess, when this happens, every site has some difficulties, such as slow loading or downtimes, or so I would think.

signature
Cordially,
Taylor W | JFH Retired Administrator

Jcink - "I'm more hip and advanced than you will ever know."
taylor@jcink.com user posted image
#
I tightened some settings. Please let me know if anyone has trouble with "forbidden" error messages. I will be emailed anyway if someone does, but just a heads up.

signature
#
It's down on IE

signature
you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave
#
It goes down on everything.

signature
#
It was ok on firefox, but down on IE >_>

signature
you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave
#
This issue should be solved.

However, I will still be trying to configure the firewall on the second server.

signature
#
HAY ADMIN FIX TIHS ISSUE KNOW OR I WIL HAX ALL UR COMMPUTERS k thx buy

>_>

Seriously though, it looks like it just happened again, I hope this can be taken care of soon. sad.gif
#
It did happen again... sigh. At least it didnt crash the SQL server this time though.

signature
#
Jcink, come back to IRC!

In pertinent news, sorry about the attacks. It's not something I normally do, but recently Hamlin has been doing some odd things (finding his way around channel bans on IRC, ignoring oper warnings, etc.), so I will go far enough to say that he might be causing some trouble here.

It seems like it'd be relatively easy to track down the sites that are under attack, and the attacker's IP(s), just by some quick log file analysis. But I'm not there, so I really have no idea what your setup looks like.

signature
Kalenea - my blog
Irayo.net photography - my photographs
Earthblot.net IRC network - server administrator, IRC operator

user posted image
#
ok as per irayos suggestions:

custom logger added
php exec time lowered to 20 seconds

also i have a new command that i can try to use these changes dont work to see whats goin on

signature
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | General Announcements | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (3) 1 2 3  Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll