Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

In-site tagging system
#
This may have been requested already, although I did try to search, but couldn't find anything.

So one of my forum's members told me of a forum, where it is possibly to use #tags to "categorize" webpages and posts, and then there is a taglist, the users can use to find anything related to that subject.

So say, I have a bunch of topics on my FRPG site, that deal with world building, or say character development, and I can create the tag #worldbuilding for that, and when clicked on them, it lists all topics marked with that tag. Kind of like Tumblr, or Twitter.

Is it possible to do this, and if so, would you consider something like this? It would be soooo useful, instead of a separate link collection in a separate forum to specific posts. http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/wub.gif
PM
#
We will definitely consider it - it hasn't been suggested previously that I can think of.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
QUOTE (John @ May 26 2017, 05:59 PM)
We will definitely consider it - it hasn't been suggested previously that I can think of.

That sounds great, thank you John!
PM
#
So, I 100% would love to see something like this. Right now I'm using post-icons to do something similar, but because of the way that the post icons are there can only be one chosen at a time, and that makes it a little less robust of a system than I would like (and there's no way I can see a list of all posts using a particular icon).

That being said, you you want to link to tags you could do something like add

TAGS: WORLDBUILDING

To the bottom of a post, and then link something like this

CODE
/index.php?act=Search&q=WORLDBUILDING&f=&u=&rt=posts

I don't know if this would help do what you're trying to accomplish - at least until a feature like this might be developed, anyway. Personally, I think it would be super useful. Being able to # something has become as common of a feature as being able to @ something, and I think it would be one of those features (like tagging in the @ sense) that really gives the forums a more modern feel compared to some other choices.

signature
user posted image
#
For roleplaying forums, this would be great to be able to mark threads as open, private, mature, or containing common triggers. This is one of my top desired features.

Being able to integrate this with user tagging would also be awesome, so if you tag #klin, I'll get a notification on thread creation, as well as giving observers a quick look at who's participating.
PM
#
QUOTE (owl @ May 27 2017, 12:36 AM)

That being said, you you want to link to tags you could do something like add

TAGS: WORLDBUILDING

To the bottom of a post, and then link something like this

CODE
/index.php?act=Search&q=WORLDBUILDING&f=&u=&rt=posts

That is actually a great idea to try out in the meantime! I will give it a go, and hope it will work. However with more general tags it wouldn't work, as it would probably bring up a lot more hits than required.
PM
#
QUOTE (becky017 @ May 31 2017, 06:17 PM)
That is actually a great idea to try out in the meantime! I will give it a go, and hope it will work. However with more general tags it wouldn't work, as it would probably bring up a lot more hits than required.

Absolutely agreed! ^^

signature
user posted image
#
QUOTE (owl @ Jun 1 2017, 12:28 AM)
QUOTE (becky017 @ May 31 2017, 06:17 PM)

Absolutely agreed! ^^

I just tried it out, to not so great results. I added the tag characterbuildtag to a single post, and the Search brought up 4 other topics that didn't have it, only parts of the tag, like "character" and "build".

Well, I guess if I want this to work, I need to come up with more unique tags for each category.

(OFF: I just checked out your site kalopsia, it looks incredible!)

This post has been edited by becky017: May 31 2017, 06:45 PM
PM
#
Aw, thank you so much <3 Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I know in some search engines you can add quotes around text if you want the whole thing to be searched for, not just parts, but I have no clue if that's a think on Jcink or not.

signature
user posted image
#
QUOTE (owl @ May 31 2017, 09:35 PM)
I know in some search engines you can add quotes around text if you want the whole thing to be searched for, not just parts, but I have no clue if that's a think on Jcink or not.

It is.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
QUOTE (John @ Jun 1 2017, 02:58 AM)
QUOTE (owl @ May 31 2017, 09:35 PM)
I know in some search engines you can add quotes around text if you want the whole thing to be searched for, not just parts, but I have no clue if that's a think on Jcink or not.

It is.

Thanks both, that actually did the trick! http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/wub.gif
PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Feature Requests | Next Newest »

Options Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll