Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Feature requests: Max limit of guests post
#
Of course I'm not a spammer myself, but every now and then it's something I enjoy reading up on.

I've been reading several posts about spammers etc and then I thought:

In the "Guest" Usergroup why not have an option on how many times guests (in general) can post, regardless of their IP addresses.

Of course I haven't had any spam since I opened my board and it doesn't seem like it's a problem at this time. Of course you can set to "0" to disable max guest posting.

This would especially be useful if guest spamming flares up again.

It's just a thought, but if it most likely won't happen, no worries.
PM
#
I see what you're saying but I don't think this is a good idea at all. This wouldn't work very well for most of our users who need to have guest forums enabled to allow free flow of advertising for linkbacks. It's also maintenance heavy in a sense that you will constantly need to adjust the cap to accommodate new posts from guests as they come in.

Ex: I limit overall guest posting to a maximum of 10, a spammer blows through and hits my cap. Now I am left with 2 options:

1. Delete the existing guest posts
2. Increase the cap

Meanwhile:

1. The cap is maxed out, preventing legitimate posts until I do something
2. I still have a mess to clean up regardless, possibly constantly

We see thousands of failed automated spam attempts per day because we utilize a spam watchdog network as well as the reCaptcha. This combination works extremely well but we'll explore other options should it one day not suffice. We are proactive in stopping spam and minimizing it.

The only types of spammers that get through this system are the manual ones who don't have their IPs blacklisted yet.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Feature Requests | Next Newest »

Options Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll