Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Commas and Line Breaks
#
    Yeah, there's a line break tag alright:

user posted image
PM
#
If you set the wordwrap feature to 0, does this problem persist when making a new post?

I definitely want to come on your board and try that exact sequence of text to reproduce the issue though if I may. I can start removing things that i know inject br tags until I find the culprit (maybe?)

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
    I tried setting the word wrap to 0, then simply copy/pasted the post I had made (the one that resulted in the br tag showing up), and the br tag was still there. When I went with the original sentence manually typed out, it didn't do it, but when I tried to edit the spacing issue came back.

Sure! I can create an admin account for you as well and PM those details, or you can admin yourself if you want since you have the keys to the kingdom. xD

Board is: https://isrp.jcink.net
PM
#
John And if you need access to anything on my forum you're obviously more than welcome!

This post has been edited by kstark: Apr 21 2017, 04:07 PM
PM
#
I tried everything to make this happen to me on multiplicity's forum.

I copied this:

CODE
[doHTML]The testing thing worked I guess but IDK if it's going to work with the lack, anything going on

I went back into the post and after putting my cursor at the start of the word directly after the comma, I hit backspace until the word and comma were touching.

CODE
[doHTML]The testing thing worked I guess but IDK if it's going to work with the lack,anything going on

Then hit the spacebar twice.

CODE
[doHTML]The testing thing worked I guess but IDK if it's going to work with the lack,  anything going on

I then hit the backspace one time to remove the "extra space", and submitted the post to get the following:

CODE
[doHTML]The testing thing worked I guess but IDK if it's going to work with the lack, anything going on

I tried doing this edit-by-edit, and all at once. Both. Couldn't make it happen. I am not doubting either of you at all, but I don't understand why I have failed to reproduce the issue.

signature
#
To be clear, the issue only occurs if the tag is on the right side of the cursor in my experience. Even on my forum, it won't happen if I have an open tag on the left side of the cursor. Perhaps if you try it on my forum with the original block of text I submitted?
PM
#
I will have a go of it later for sure.

signature
#
Groovy. Let me know if you need anything on my end.
PM
#
    So I went into the posts you made on my forum and edited it the way I mentioned (the backspace to touching, two spaces, one backspace) and then submitted the edit and it created the <br> tag. I wonder if this has to do with the HTML templates and formatting I have in it, or with Grammarly (since I do have Grammarly installed on my browser).

Let me disable Grammary and let you know what that does.

EDIT: Even after disabling Grammarly, it still did it. Going to try the default skin and see if it works.

EDIT 2: Okay, so after installing a default skin, I think it has to do with the word wrap in the input field. On the default skin, the phrase we were using on my forum was too long for my input field, so the comma would be at the end of the line before it had to word wrap down to the next line. In the default skin, the word "anything" wasn't long enough to force a word wrap, so it was fine. But when I changed the word "anything" to "immediately", it did the same thing with the backspaces due to the size of the input field.

Not sure if those findings are a good merit, but that's what I discovered with the word wrap issues and spacing.

This post has been edited by multiplicity!: Apr 21 2017, 10:06 PM
PM
#
It is possible I am not following the directions correctly. A screen cap or video may help if I'm missing something.

signature
#
    Before I went out to make a screencap video showing what I do, I tested this in Firefox as well as Chrome, and I got different results. Chrome, it has the issue of not showing that I did a backspace even though there's a space there. In Firefox, it does not do this and backspaces visually correct.

What browser are you using when you get this error kstark and CamilleNicole?
PM
#
Interesting... the plot thickens. I have not tried in Chrome yet myself, but will do.

signature
#
I use Chrome on Mac OSX El Capitan. Maybe this was introduced in a recent update to Chrome. I'll see about making a video of the problem as it happens.
PM
#
Encountered this today, Chrome version 57.0.2987.133 (Official Build) (64-bit) on Windows 7. Line breaks kept appearing after commas when I previewed my post. Eventually got them to go away by repeatedly deleting and retyping the comma.

Didn't investigate any further, but I will next time the problem crops up. Haven't heard of any other of my members being affected.
PM
#
so weird, but my friends run into this issue on my site as well. i haven't tried re-creating it just yet, but i'm going to give it a go. ٩(•̤̀ᵕ•̤́๑)ᵒᵏᵎᵎᵎᵎ

edit;; managed to re-create the issue as well ! i use chrome too. i'm thinking it's a chrome issue. really weird.

edit edit;; on inspecting it: within the form itself, it display only as a space. within preview, it display as a line break tag. when i click space twice, and click the back arrow, there are 3 spaces between the word and the comma, when there should only be 1.

This post has been edited by clicker: May 29 2017, 01:47 AM
PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Bug Reports | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll