Pages: (6) 1 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) ClosedNew TopicNew Poll

Filemanager + Multi Attachments [complete]
#
This is a break-off from the assorted feature pack thread. For these features, I'm doing a dual feature release because to do one without the other would seem incomplete to me.

#1. Multiple File Attachments: This is pretty much self-explanitory. You can only attach 1 file under the current system. The goal is to change this to allow multiple file uploads per post, with a set maximum by admins, something like 10. It would be cool if the upload form could be enhanced as well. Previous posts regarding this suggestion have requested progress bars like youtube, facebook, etc. I will look into it, but no promises. The first order of business will be to get the basic system laid down.

#2. FileManager Upgrades: I didn't see a point of doing the multiple file attachements without some serious upgrades to the "file manager" we currently have. I'm currently u****ressed with what's there. The existing filemanager was put in place during service launch and has virtually never been touched since.

My idea involves creating a brand new section under the Administration or JFB section called Filemanager and making it a one-stop place for everything file uploads and management. The IBStore uploader would disappear and would end up merged with it. So would the avatar gallery. That will consolidate and reorganize right there.

Furthermore, before I go on here, I know how a lot of people have been using the system. It isn't a surprise that people go to the IBstore uploader and stick images for their skins, webpages, and some related board files there. The other work-around that's used all the time is to just go around attaching files to posts.

Taking this into account, the filemanager will allow a few things such as folder creation, and copy/paste text for image uploads. I have no problem with people hosting content on the FM for their board itself and this will now be encouraged by this system. These things shouldn't be cumbersome to accomplish anymore.

Of course, I still need to prevent abuse. Basic file types will be allowed and the limit will probably stay at 2MB per file.

Also, since I have to so much work around the file management area, I'll look into suggestions in the past regarding disk space upgrades. It won't be a problem to slide this in while I'm doing everything else. I have my doubts about buyers since we do offer such a generous amount of disk space to begin with but I don't care since it won't be a burden to add along the way. Wondering as well if anyone out there would even purchase disk space and for what price? Would not be a monthly fee, one-time type thing.

Any suggestions/questions/comments are welcome before I begin working on this.

This post has been edited by Jcink: Jun 6 2011, 07:12 AM

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
I was just wondering with the default colors thing via UserCP?
#
QUOTE (PY @ Oct 19 2010, 06:19 PM)
I was just wondering with the default colors thing via UserCP?

Kinda offtopic here; that was pushed aside for another time. I mentioned at the end of the assorted feature pack that I was not able to slip that one in easily.

signature
#
Always on top of the latest and greatest features, great work Jcink!

signature
[Signature removed. Please don't use others graphics or signatures without permission. Thanks. - J]
PM
#
Thanks. I try my hardest. smile.gif

signature
#
This is nice.

This post has been edited by TJ: Oct 26 2010, 02:09 PM

signature
where's my ram
#
you do beautiful work...

I wonder how much more code until theres almost nothing left of the original ipb1.3

signature
#
I wish I could actually post something that I've done, but I have nothing to visually show.

Basically I've just focused on laying down the foundation. This is harder than you'd think because I'm designing this by snaking around the system already in place. I'm trying to write this update in a way that won't break all the previous attached files, so essentially some of the old will run side by side with the new stuff.

Once I have all of that working, I'll have more to say.

signature
#
I see quite a few people buying folder space, I like the one time fee idea.

signature
Thanks,
JordanH

JcinkNet Family Grandpa
#
I actually haven't seen a huge demand for it, which is why I never wanted to get it done. There's a generous amount of space offered too.

I figure maybe with multi-attachments and better ways to reference ,and organize them in posts... combined with a cool file manager... perhaps this would make someone buy more if they need it.

signature
#
Status update: Coming along. I still have nothing to show for it. Or do I? Hooray for colorful PHP code? tongue.gif

Attached 1 File(s)
Attached Image

signature
#
oh my god why do you keep putting an e in attachments it's driving me insane

signature
[Signature removed. Please don't use others graphics or signatures without permission. Thanks. - J]
PM
#
QUOTE (Sean @ Nov 3 2010, 06:07 PM)
oh my god why do you keep putting an e in attachments it's driving me insane

Kept driving me insane too. I have no idea why I do that. The 'e' just keeps slipping in there. Thankfully, I haven't made any function or table names incorrect, I just didn't fix my comments.

signature
#
Flawless php lol

signature
user posted image

Shift UI Development Thread
"Design is not just what it looks like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs
#
I'm still working on this. A lot of it has been working out everything internally still since I want this to be the cleanest and most transparent upgrade I can do. Although admittedly I don't have as much done as I'd have liked. Doesn't help that I've decided to include the filemanager update with this at the same time because that will help with the transition. Better to get this all right and set in stone in one go. It'll be a great dual feature release that will certainly make sharing files via the forums a lot easier.

Thus far I'm still working out everything in-topic and when that's done I'll work out the post form.

There's a list of goals that need to be completed before all of this is released and I'll map them in this thread sometime today or tomorrow so those curious can follow.

A screenshot of some work being done. Hardly finished, but...

Attached 1 File(s)
Attached Image

signature
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Development News | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (6) 1 2 3 ... Last » ClosedNew TopicNew Poll