Pages: (6) 1 2 3 4 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) ClosedNew TopicNew Poll

Filemanager + Multi Attachments [complete]
#
Good work. Kind curious about how post_attachment function really looks like tongue.gif

Also, I'm not too familiar with IPB 1.3 but it seems to me that you're using $POST superglobals? Isn;t that a huge security risk? Or does IPB have some sort of built in cleaning functions.
PM
#
QUOTE (Pandemikk @ Nov 13 2010, 01:06 AM)
Good work. Kind curious about how post_attachment function really looks like tongue.gif

Also, I'm not too familiar with IPB 1.3 but it seems to me that you're using $POST superglobals? Isn;t that a huge security risk? Or does IPB have some sort of built in cleaning functions.

$ibforums->input cleans the $_POST and $_GET globals, making them safe to put into a query.

Not sure where you see the post superglobal being used; perhaps you're confused by my defined $post variable. The superglobal is $_POST; not $post.

That part labeled $post is a check against the support_posts table to see if an attachment exists in there since that's where they are currently stored. That'll end up being a piece of legacy code to check on any attachment id that doesn't come up in the new support_attachments table.

Believe it or not, that's pretty much the entire function right now. Not done though, but in working form for me to do stuff on the front-end, like working on actual uploads.

I would have had this done so much faster if I didn't have to think about what the most efficient way would be to snake around the old system, but whatever.

Attached 1 File(s)
Attached Image

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
Going to try to motor through this. Have not forgotten about it. Just haven't had the chance to put any good work toward it. The technical end is still pretty much halfway out of the woods and once the rest is complete the rest of dev will quickly fall into place.

signature
#
Or not.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/7821/trollw.png

Sorry folks. Time hasn't really been on my side. I think after Christmas I'll be able to get some serious work done to continue this.

signature
#
And now, some news.

I'm back in the game here and I've started cleaning up everything with a new plan going forward to make this easier to do. I will have more on that later. For now I did a lot of work the other day to work around the other attachment system but some parts are simply being gutted. I decided this is the best path to bringing this out faster along with stopping a "spaghetti code" situation (read: code that's a disaster of hoops and turns).

Onward to the actual development side of things: The screenshots I showed earlier displayed only a working front-end. A front end that still needs work to clean it up with proper images for the file types, etc.

I started work on the back end; so far it's coming along quite well. Attachments are shown from the database on the edit screens now. The screenshot I provided shows the concept I'll be implementing that allows members to put their attachments inline anywhere in their post. This is really simple and handy for arranging things.

Later I plan to make myself a little to-do list for this entire project and complete the bits one by one. This will make it easier for me and easier for you to follow progress.

Attached 1 File(s)
Attached Image

signature
#
This may be a stupid question but will pics that are uploaded be automatically thumbnailed or will that depend on the previous code for resizing images?
PM
#
Not stupid at all, it's a legit question.

Since I realize that this can be used for multiple images, there will actually be a setting where you can set what thumbnail size you want specifically for attachments. The resize images based on proportion for the [IMG] tag will continue to work.

If no settings are filed out for what size images should be thumbnailed to, it just defaults back to the current image resizer.

signature
#
Nice job on it so far smile.gif! It looks awesome. Will make uploading files so much easier ^_^

signature
#
A bunch of updates got done for this today.

Adding a reply with more attachments is fully working. In the edit section, changing and removing uploaded files is also fully working right now. I have an updated screenshot using checkboxes instead of the buttons.

The rest of what I'd have to say is all technical stuff. It was mostly re-arranging general structure of things to make stuff clean and easy. I'll save the details.

As promised here's a work outline:
  • Make the 'add attachment' submit button do something; change it to be the actual form maker, or ditch it.
  • Fix a few issues on the reply page with the upload processor bugging out.
  • Make multiple attachments work on new-topic
  • Fix the images of the file types; update them as well
  • Change bytes to something appropriate
  • Make 'Add to Post' buttons work
  • Make inline attachments e.g. [attachment=1] actually work.
  • Make a thumbnail generator for images that puts thumbs on the server if an option is set.
  • Go over the allowed file types; see what can be served safely directly (zips, pics, etc)
Keep in mind that even after I finish this, there will end up being a new work list for the brand new filemanager. Unfortunately, due to the nature of having to work around the old attachment system, and because this update requires significant changes to the database there must be a filemanager with this release at the same time. By the time we get to that point though I will have refined most areas of the attachment system update, so it should be smooth sailing.

Attached 1 File(s)
Attached Image

signature
#
Wow, this update is sure going to be a good start for 2011. What about having just one checkbox on each attachment and below it, put Remove Selected Files and Add To Post. I find that more convenient. Like:

Remove Selected Files | Add To Post

Also, what about merging both of those File Attachments together so it saves little space? Merge the new one with the old one. But anyway, great work, Jcink.
PM
#
Hi dnextreme88;

It's best if the buttons for adding them inline into posts stay separate in my opinion. I see what you are saying, on one hand, you could select multiple to display anywhere in the post if you wished and then click one button. But then comes the annoyance of having to uncheck what you didn't want. Although, I suppose we could solve that by having the checks removed once the button is clicked. However; in the end it would be the same amount of clicks regardless. I will think about it but for now it will stay as is.

As for merging both rows together; the upload form being separate is intentional. I don't think it would look good merged and it would create some issues with the form, as well as work I've done to edge around the old system. I will change the name though on the first one because it shouldn't be called "File Attachments"; the and the double name looks stupid.

Thanks for the feedback.

signature
#
QUOTE (Jcink @ Feb 1 2011, 03:25 PM)
Hi dnextreme88;

It's best if the buttons for adding them inline into posts stay separate in my opinion. I see what you are saying, on one hand, you could select multiple to display anywhere in the post if you wished and then click one button. But then comes the annoyance of having to uncheck what you didn't want. Although, I suppose we could solve that by having the checks removed once the button is clicked. However; in the end it would be the same amount of clicks regardless. I will think about it but for now it will stay as is.

As for merging both rows together; the upload form being separate is intentional. I don't think it would look good merged and it would create some issues with the form, as well as work I've done to edge around the old system. I will change the name though on the first one because it shouldn't be called "File Attachments"; the and the double name looks stupid.

Thanks for the feedback.

Coolio. Boss rules always stand - so I'll go with your decision. Changing the name of the file attachments seems good. Wonder what will you name them? ^_^
PM
#
This works for me.

Attached 1 File(s)
Attached Image

signature
#
QUOTE (Jcink @ Feb 2 2011, 07:19 PM)
This works for me.

Ok, that's a nice name, Jcink. I'm with this ^_^

This post has been edited by dnextreme88: Feb 4 2011, 08:28 PM
PM
#
Looks great Jcink. Looking forward to it. smile.gif

signature
user posted image
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Development News | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (6) 1 2 3 4 ... Last » ClosedNew TopicNew Poll