Pages: (8) 1 2 3 4 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) ClosedNew TopicNew Poll

Linked / Sub Accounts [complete]
#
Awesome! Generally, I will turn the first setting off, because a lot of people like privacy.
PM
#
Question will you still be able to login to two different accounts at the same time if you use a different type of browser or will this stop you from having that option?
#
Why would you need to with this feature in place?
PM
#
I multitask horribly. wink.gif
#
I don't see why it would affect your ability to log into two accounts since each account can still be accessed independently through the regular log in system... It's not like it affects the other accounts while you're logged into one. The only thing is that if you tried to have both jump to the same account it wouldn't work so well.

signature
user posted image
#
It will not affect your ability to use two browsers to be logged in to separate accounts.

I must continue to stress; the accounts retain their individuality. Existing functionality is not going to be crippled in any way by someone linking them up to a parent. It only makes management easier because you can switch out of accounts in a second, there's no need to log-out and re-authenticate.

The designation as a sub-account DOES offer the possibility of mass management features IN THE FUTURE; i.e. perhaps mass-change avatar and sig of all accounts, but we're not looking at that for this initial release. Just the linking-up is what most wanted.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
Thank you for the answer. I'm looking forward to this even more now that I know it will not limit that certain ability.
#
*drools*

Oh, question. Can we edit a post and switch users in the edit like in SMF? (I know you said that it was mimicking SMF, but curious if it mimics in this manner, too.) So let's say you post under Phoenix Wright and realize that--after you've posted--you used the wrong account. So you'd hit the edit button and choose the correct account name from a drop-down list. (I figure you already know what I'm referring to here, but explanation for anyone that doesn't.)
PM
#
QUOTE (Beauceron @ Jun 30 2011, 04:33 AM)
*drools*

Oh, question.  Can we edit a post and switch users in the edit like in SMF?  (I know you said that it was mimicking SMF, but curious if it mimics in this manner, too.)  So let's say you post under Phoenix Wright and realize that--after you've posted--you used the wrong account.  So you'd hit the edit button and choose the correct account name from a drop-down list.  (I figure you already know what I'm referring to here, but explanation for anyone that doesn't.)

No, it won't mimic this. And actually, I was just taking some group based setting ideas from it. wink.gif

Is it possible to try to incorporate something like this? yes... but not for this initial release though. because then I've got to start tearing apart the permissions systems and bindings to edited posts. not an easy task, and people have been waiting a while for just the switching alone now. I'd like to get that done. I've designed this in a way that it's easy to go back and start adding things if need be, so it won't be a problem.

signature
#
Fair enough. Thanks.
PM
#
Just curious how this is coming along! (I have no idea if this is inappropriate to ask btw so feel free to smack me down. I'm not trying to rush anything, just checking in because I love this idea!)
PM
#
QUOTE (Kimpropriety @ Jul 8 2011, 03:15 PM)
Just curious how this is coming along!  (I have no idea if this is inappropriate to ask btw so feel free to smack me down.  I'm not trying to rush anything, just checking in because I love this idea!)

I have not been able to put forth any time into it. Looking to do some work on it this weekend.

signature
#
Starting to polish things off now. Fixed a number of things related to linking/delinking accounts and have been doing a lot of various testing. The User CP area is pretty much done now.

I've moved the switch menu bar to be in the best location that I could find, in the userbar as a replacement for the "Logged in as:" text, and also removed the "Go" button. It's just a dropdown menu now. When you switch with the menu, you *stay* on the exact page you were looking at.

This will be the location it appears unless the admin of the board disables it, in which then they can use something like <!-- SUB_ACCOUNT_MENU --> in their wrapper.

There is honestly not a lot left to do here except the profiles, a little more testing, adding in a few quick settings. Looking to make the move to release soon.

Attached 1 File(s)
Attached Image

signature
#
That looks really fantastic! I appreciate the include key to move the log in anywhere that we like, though it looks great just where it is. Hurrah!
PM
#
Yay! I'm so excited for this feature and for getting to play around with it soon. biggrin.gif I've been checking this thread to see what the developments are with it and see when it's coming, hehe.

signature

user posted image
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Development News | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (8) 1 2 3 4 ... Last » ClosedNew TopicNew Poll