Pages: (5) 1 2 3 4 5  ( Go to first unread post ) ClosedNew TopicNew Poll

@User Tagging [COMPLETED]
#
ID# could be greatly in use if the user makes changes on his username every now and then.. plus, you can make a sticky topic for the staff if any user wants to tag them and the staff made a change on his/her username.. biggrin.gif
by the way.. i really like this feature.. biggrin.gif

would be great if the notifications would be small and has a link of all the tags you receive.. biggrin.gif
plus if you could make the PM notification change to a neater and smaller way too.. that would be great! biggrin.gif
PM
#
A complete notifcation system like you're talking about there with a small pop up or something is planned in the future.

signature

user posted image
DeviantArt | Email: crystal@jcink.com | Blog: Seriously Lacqueing

user posted image user posted image user posted image
RPG-Resources
List your forum in our Directory today!
#
if these PMs would have a separate folder, then it would be ok.. biggrin.gif
PM
#
That would be nice, but I doubt it will be possible because of the way the inbox works. (Putting it into a folder isn't going to make new messages work.)

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
oh.. sad.gif i just thought it's hard to get mixed notifications with the real PM from members..
PM
#
I don't think it'll be "hard." The messages will be clearly labeled to indicate that it's a "you've been tagged" message from the system. It would be more organized to have them in a folder or even in a notifications system, though as I said neither are possible right now. I don't expect it to hamper the effectiveness of the feature.

signature
#
    This is brilliant, thank you so much for pouring your time and effort into this - it is sure to bolster activity for all people involved, and keep people updated, and those are awesome things.

Personally, I like the @ because I can add it to the end of the post, and have it visually say to someone that this is me tagging them - that being said, it doesn't put me off the slightest that you removed it and for non-roleplaying purposes it makes sense to want to make names organically brought up in the posts not stick out too much (because the purpose there is alerting the person, not letting the world know you're alerting the person). If it's got it's own styling, you can actually easily re-insert the @ via CSS in modern browsers for anyone who might be interested.

I'm so excited or this, I just want to gush forever!

I don't know how hard it is to do, but if there was a tag like @staff that member could use that would send an alert to all the staff, that would be awesome. Also, if there was a @members (or something) tag that only the staff could use which could be used to tag all the members when announcements and such are made, that would be really helpful.

I don't think the PMs would be too easily confused, but I am really excited for the prospect of a complete notification center in the future to keep things clean and clear and separate. (Especially if, similarly to social media, there was something small and simple we could position in a corner or wherever that would let us see our 'updates'.) Even so, I'm glad to see that you're moving forward with this project a bit at a time.

This post has been edited by owl: Aug 7 2013, 04:37 PM

signature
user posted image
#
Thanks for the feedback.

I don't know how hard it is to do, but if there was a tag like @staff that member could use that would send an alert to all the staff, that would be awesome. Also, if there was a @members (or something) tag that only the staff could use which could be used to tag all the members when announcements and such are made, that would be really helpful.

This is a nifty idea. I could see this being possible if tags were done by user group. Ex: @Admin. I think it would have to require that select user groups would need to be explicitly allowed to be tagged. (I would NOT want a member being able to tag all @Members) But it's a cool idea and if I can incorporate it, I will.

signature
#
After the recent update and seeing this, I think I cried a little in joy. Exaggeration but deep inside, I did.

I'm not that bothered much with the @ symbol but when I did first see it in use in PBv5, it felt too much like the social media these days. Showing without the @ will really make it cleaner.

And definitely seconding the idea of being able to tag groups. And yeah lol, wouldn't want just anyone being able to tag groups.

I'm already too happy about this news. This might not be a good idea but would it also be possible for the tagged member's avatar to appear resized beside the name? Or the @UserName appearing just as the member's avatar.

But regardless, this is so good *_*

signature
user posted image - a panfandom rp
#
There will certainly be an option or some kind of way to style whether the @ appears after it is used when posting as it seems everyone is indecisive on that one.

This might not be a good idea but would it also be possible for the tagged member's avatar to appear resized beside the name?

It's possible to write in, like it would be able to grab their current avatar at the time and insert it next to their name in like a 16x16 image. I don't think I would do this one but it was an interesting idea nonetheless to consider.

Thank you for your feedback.

signature
#
I love this idea.

However, I feel that a pm for every notification could get really annoying! Maybe instead of pms there is a notification tab in the userlinks bar similar to facebook. I feel like it would be cool to tag people when you are posting with them. But I know I would not like getting a pm for each one. Mainly because it clogs up pm boxes and some pm boxes are not that big. I also know that I get an email for each pm. I love knowing when someone pms me. But getting notifications and getting emailed about it as well would be highly annoying especially if you get tagged alot.

Also similar to facebook would it be able to bring up a list of names from what you are typing. I know some people have some whacky usernames and its hard to spell them right. If you are constantly tagging them it could be annoying have to look it up. Having a drop down list of similar named users could help.

As for formatting of tagging I think @username; would be the easiest. Since it is similar to coding with the ; after. Also in emailing you usually separate addresses with the ;. But you could run into an issue if any usernames have it in there. Usually it isn't that popular though. I feel that having spaces is more common then the colon. I like the idea of having multiple ways to tag people. maybe just putting colons would be the easiest when there are spaces? I know people tend to use ; and brackets in their names so having something that is not commonly used would be better.

Also could permission masks be considered in this. If you are for an example in an advertising forum. You could tag everyone on the site and get more publicity that way. It would be nice to be able to disable the feature for certain forums. I think the permission mask would probably be the easiest way to do it.

As for using the id number if a user has a number in there username it could offset the tag. For example uesrname 12ae when tagging wouldn't it try to go to userid 12. Maybe having a different variable to tag id maybe @#12. That way it wouldn't effect users who have numbers in there name.

I also would love if everything that appears tag wise could be formatted. So if we want an icon it can appear there. Almost like the mini profile. But if not I would love just a little yes or no for the tag signs.

I also was curious as if this would work in titles and subtitles. I know rp wise we usually tag people for posts in the subtitles.

This post has been edited by aepbass: Aug 8 2013, 11:40 PM

signature

user posted imageuser posted image

Click Images for The Best Forums Ever!
#
I also was curious as if this would work in titles and subtitles. I know rp wise we usually tag people for posts in the subtitles.

Probably not. It depends. I can try, but no promises on that one.

I unfortunately had to abandon the idea of using ; as a delimiter by the way. I tried and it didn't work out, so I'm actually removing that option from my post. Because I was running into a problem where if a semicolin was used later in the post or even within the same sentence after tagging, then it would suck up everything into it. Ex:

"Hey, I think @Jcink is working on that. You should ask him; he'd know." The pattern matching came up as highlighted. There's really no way to fix that. I think I'm sticking with both @username for names with no spaces, and @[user name] for ones with. This is what has worked the best in most of my tests.

Also, enough here have expressed concern about it being messy if it was PMed. Depending on how development goes, I would be willing to take the extra time to create a rudimentary notifications section that can be updated later to send all of those things to.

signature
#
Maybe it'd be worth the time to just go ahead and build a full on notification system?

I'd imagine that'd involve a lot of ripping code apart, but since it's likely something you'll need to do inevitably... might as well get it done sooner rather than later. (And it'd work a lot nicer to have tagging go to a notification centre than PMs.)

As far as live-searching for names in the system as you type... That might be a cool idea, but what kind of impact would it have on the server? (Might be easier to stick to just having like: @name @[user name] @#1 @admin and @[mod team] things for now.)

Perhaps it'd be possible to set up like a list of frequently tagged users. So if you add them to your friends list then you could easily tag them in posts. (Like it might have another link underneath "BB Code Help" to the left of the post's text area that would say "Tag Friends". Then by clicking that it'd open a popup window listing all users you have on friends list to insert into the post.)

signature
user posted image
#
I was thinking of the @# for longer names that are hard to retype as an option. Like how some rp's have their characters name like JEREMY arnold MCMILLAN or ronald i. albert, etc.
PM
#
QUOTE (VirusZero @ Aug 9 2013, 01:05 AM)
Maybe it'd be worth the time to just go ahead and build a full on notification system?

I'd imagine that'd involve a lot of ripping code apart, but since it's likely something you'll need to do inevitably... might as well get it done sooner rather than later. (And it'd work a lot nicer to have tagging go to a notification centre than PMs.)

I might just end up being easier to do that and get it over with rather than having to work around it later. I could probably create something like My Alerts. And then just funnel the tags into there and work on the other settings later. Tags could be the only alert for a while.

As far as live-searching for names in the system as you type... That might be a cool idea, but what kind of impact would it have on the server? (Might be easier to stick to just having like: @name @[user name] @#1 @admin and @[mod team] things for now.)

Perhaps it'd be possible to set up like a list of frequently tagged users. So if you add them to your friends list then you could easily tag them in posts. (Like it might have another link underneath "BB Code Help" to the left of the post's text area that would say "Tag Friends". Then by clicking that it'd open a popup window listing all users you have on friends list to insert into the post.)

The impact on the server would not be very nice from live searching usernames especially on sites with tons of users, so I'll pass on that for now. I don't even have the proper javascript for the menus needed for it anyway at the moment.

signature
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Development News | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (5) 1 2 3 4 5  ClosedNew TopicNew Poll