Pages: (56) 1 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) ClosedNew TopicNew Poll

Alert System
#
Alert System

Alerts are notifications within the system/forums. They are useful to notify members of events surrounding their activities within the forum itself, and are more convenient than flooding the PM inbox with such activity.

Users will receieve alerts for:
  • A friend add
  • Personal Messages
  • Adding to buddy lists
  • Quoting their name in a post
  • Response to a topic thread subscription
  • A new profile comment
Why are we coding the alert system now? During development discussion about @User Tagging, initially the alerts were going to be sent by PM, but we decided that this was just going to be too spammy.

Given the nature of this system, it is less of a headache to do the alert system first, and have it required to be enabled for user tagging to function. So we want to get this feature done first, and then afterward it can easily be tapped into in situations such as:
  • Liking a post
  • Adding +rep to a user
  • Tagging (obviously)
  • Receiving an award
That is just the tip of the iceberg as to what could be used as an alert in the future as features on the service expand.

And yes - alerts will be fully supported on mobile mode too.

The below screenshot is some preview development. It will become more pretty and defined as time goes on. I've decided that Alerts will replace "My Assistant" when enabled. My Assistant is relatively useless and that location is the best place to put the alert system.

Crystal has provided me a large feature map file organized with most of these ideas all detailed out on how they should look, but this is the summarized version. If anyone has anything to add or feedback, do let me know in this post.

Latest Screenshot of Development:

user posted image

Attached 1 File(s)
Attached Image

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
I have nothing to add except I totally love this idea.
PM
#
^

What Chazz871 said.
#
user posted image

This one shouldn't be too difficult to get out relatively quickly either. Hopefully by end of September or earlier, no promises though depending on my schedule.

signature
#
    This looks awesome, and I think it's a nifty idea to do this one first so that members will have a little bit to get used to the alert system before they can start tagging and such. Thank you!

signature
user posted image
#
Yeah, of course that will be beneficial as well.

Though this decision was primarily based on the internal design aspects of it (the code), as well as the external (the PM spam issue).

signature
#
I really like the idea of an alert system. Can't wait smile.gif

signature
user posted image
#
Yes indeed.

We will definitely be making use of this on both the support board and resource board as well.

signature
#
I like!
PM
#
Just out of curiosity, will you be adding global variable bits for it like with the new message part?

So this way users can configure how the alert box looks and where it's placed (including via javascript/jquery codes)?

signature
user posted image
#
QUOTE (VirusZero @ Aug 31 2013, 08:34 PM)
Just out of curiosity, will you be adding global variable bits for it like with the new message part?

So this way users can configure how the alert box looks and where it's placed (including via javascript/jquery codes)?

+1
#
Good question and yes.

There will be <!-- |new_alerts| --> with a number returned of course with how many alerts were found. So it would be possible to move the Alerts (1) thing into a sidebar.

signature
#
I LOVE this idea !!! Can't wait to see it! And so interested, ik it's too early, in a beta test for that.

signature
#
Nah - no beta testing for this one yet. But thanks for your interest. smile.gif

signature
#
Jcink, I have been waiting for this feature, and I think you know what my specialty is when it comes to drop downs. wink.gif

So with that said, please make it easy to fetch the alerts via Ajax, for example, convenient classes or IDs. .alert-avatar, .alert-date, .alert-message.

signature
user posted image

Shift UI Development Thread
"Design is not just what it looks like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Development News | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (56) 1 2 3 ... Last » ClosedNew TopicNew Poll