Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

ImgBox Warning, For those of you who host files there
#
If you have anything hosted on https://imgbox.com, now would be a good time to backup your images and re-upload them elsewhere.

Why? Imgbox.com will be shutting down on June 30, 2017
PM
#
Thanks for posting. Too bad. Hard times for image hosts. SomeImage shut down months back as well.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
FYI, a good place is www.nickpic.host

It's run by a roleplayer out of pocket, so there's no chance of him shutting down anytime soon, especially since several people over on Caution know him personally.

signature
user posted image user posted image user posted image
#
Nick's image hosting is really nice but I do hope he finds a way to monetize it in the future.

Many image hosts get too large, and close down because they are simply unsustainable. Or the abuse is rampant. I've tossed the idea about getting into that business in the past but it always felt like it would be a huge money sink.

As always, remember that to host images for your community itself, you are most welcome and encouraged to use the built-in filemanager of our service.

signature
#
Imagebam is shutting down as well. Guess they're the same owners. My forum is really going to take a hit since I have so many pics hosted on imagebam.
PM
#
Wow. I didn't know imagebam was going down the tubes too.

It's going to hit a lot of forums and sites really hard. They've been around for years.

signature
#
I switched to nickpic as soon as imgur changed their policy, because Photobucket has been so unstable.

signature
#
I've been using my Google drive as a way to host my images.

signature
user posted image
#
The thing with nickpic.host is that Nick is paying for everything himself.
Since he allows adult content, he can't have ads since most ad networks won't allow that type of content.

I use NickPic myself, but you should always keep back-ups elsewhere in the event that image hosts go down (that way it's just a matter of changing links not re-uploading and changing links).
PM
#
QUOTE (John @ Jun 9 2017, 12:35 PM)
I've tossed the idea about getting into that business in the past but it always felt like it would be a huge money sink.

As a note, and a premium user, I would be interested in adding a premium feature for a little extra fee to have something members could readily upload to and use like imgur. If that is anyway helpful to mitigate the 'money sink' aspect.

I use the File Manager for all site-images, but members have to use external image hosts for things like plotters, wanted ads, etc. The only exception would be avatars, so having a feature like a "premium + fee" where members can have their own 'account' access their hosted images I could see as being highly beneficial and worth an annual fee.

I'm not sure how much this would cost but figured it'd be worth mentioning.

And thank you for letting us know about the image sites going down.

signature
user posted image
Brent Weeks AU // Modern Fantasy
#
We'll definitely consider that. Some kind of "member" filemanager in the UserCP with limited space per member for images. The biggest challenge would be keeping the images in-network only. But it could perhaps be doable.

We just can't become an image host for everyone on the internet (including by abuse of any such features) that's really where the big money sink is and what I was talking about. It eats tons of space and bandwidth and there's no way to keep them alive except out of pocket... which truly only lasts so long. Or with some very nasty popup ads and reigning in the hotlinking, which makes the service useless for forum or other purposes.

signature
#
It looks like imgbox and imagebam are staying.
PM
#
And now there's the debacle with Photobucket which, as far as I can tell, is trying to charge ~$400 a year for hot linking.

signature
user posted image
#
QUOTE (owl @ Jun 30 2017, 12:27 PM)
And now there's the debacle with Photobucket which, as far as I can tell, is trying to charge ~$400 a year for hot linking.

You are correct.

I've lost hundreds of images because of this issue.

signature
#
After the announcement from imgbox, I won't trust them myself, personally. What stops their new partner from pulling out?

Thank you to everyone that recommended NickPic.Host. If you guys have any questions about it, please feel free to ask. I am looking into ways to monetize it to lessen the impact on my wallet. It is affordable for me. My terms of service limits it to RPGs, Storytelling, and Resource Communities. I did this in hopes to stop spam and to slow growth to keep it for our community alone.

We're very happy to work with people and make things happen.

Two users paying for Photobucket would pay my bill for an entire year!
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Feedback and Discussion | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll