Attention:

Support Rules and Guidelines
Before you post your support topic, please remember to:
  • Read the support forum rules.
  • Check the wiki and use search to see if your problem can be answered there first.
  • Link your board please, and make sure that the problem on your board is visible to guests or provide a test account.
  • Do not post Board Wrappers and CSS unless requested. With a board link, this is not necessary.
  • Be as descriptive as you can and use as many details as possible when describing your problem.
  • Please briefly mark any links to forums that may not be work-safe.
This will help ensure your support issue will be attended to in a quick and efficient manner.

Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

member forum permission/search bar (testsearchtitle), two questions!
#
okay, the first thing i was curious about is if there was still a way to allow members to move their own topics from one forum to another? i.e. on a rp forum, when they've finished with an app they've posted in the incomplete forum a way for them to move it to the completed forum on their own? i've seen it done before but not in a really long time so i'm not sure if maybe that was a feature and isn't now and if it was how to go about it?

the second thing i had to ask was how would i make what is typed in the search bar find things in posts and topics? for some reason it only seems to find what's written in actual posts. (and i mean the search bar, not a (jcink.com/index.php?act=Search) link bc it's actually in a pop out)

edit it doesn't find usernames either, unfortunately. or is that just a search thing in general? sorry, i keep editing this with updates!

This post has been edited by John: Jun 21 2017, 09:45 AM
PM
#
1. You might be thinking about multi-mods, which do what you described, but unfortunately are only usable by staff (at least as far as I know).
edit: you can learn more about that there

2. /index.php?act=Members is where you search for members.

What exactly do you mean by search bar if not /index.php?act=Search - do you mean the one in your browser?

This post has been edited by owl: Jun 20 2017, 03:53 PM

signature
user posted image
#
Maybe! I'll have to test it out for myself to see.

This is what I mean by Search Bar

user posted image

CODE
<div id="searchbar">
    <div class="search-container">
 <form action="/index.php?act=Search&amp;CODE=01" method="post">
  <input name="forums" value="all" type="hidden">
  <input name="keywords" class="search-input" onfocus="this.value=''" placeholder="Search..." type="text">
        </form>
    </div>
</div>
PM
#
QUOTE (coop @ Jun 20 2017, 01:00 AM)
the second thing i had to ask was how would i make what is typed in the search bar find things in posts and topics? for some reason it only seems to find what's written in actual posts. (and i mean the search bar, not a (jcink.com/index.php?act=Search) link bc it's actually in a pop out)

edit it doesn't find usernames either, unfortunately. or is that just a search thing in general? sorry, i keep editing this with updates!

The exact search markup you provided should provide a search for both topic titles and posts. It's possible that whatever word you might be trying to search though is not coming up for some reason in the engine. To prove what I am saying, I edited this topic to say "testsearchtitle" -- use the search bar and input only that. Even though it's not in the post body, it's in the title. It searches both. If that isn't working, let me know of an example post that isn't coming up based on search title and I'll see if it can be fixed.

The search does not find usernames, no, and has no option for that. It does have search posts BY specific username. If you want to find users, there is a specific search for them that owl mentioned at /index.php?act=Members

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
I realized the member search after owl said it, sorry about that!

I have two topics with the word "another" in them. one is Another Limit and the other is Another One (I was just using them to test the height limit of the recent topics in the board stats)

If I search for "another", I'll get the board message saying there are no matches, etc. but if I search the word "limit" it will show the post with the topic title "Testing height limit" - none of the above topics have the words "another" or "limit" in their actual posts. (as those just have "testing" or some combination of letters like "asdsfghjk" i put together just so i could post it)

Now, if I search "testing" it'll show me topics with the word in both the title and the post - but curiously not the "Testing height limit" topic.

This post has been edited by coop: Jun 23 2017, 06:03 AM
PM
#
QUOTE (coop @ Jun 22 2017, 12:20 AM)

Now, if I search "testing" it'll show me topics with the word in both the title and the post - but curiously not the "Testing height limit" topic.

board

It did for me when I just tried. But I'll say this. The JFH search is poor. We simply don't have a strong search engine - we utilize mysqls standard search like almost every other forum software. Certain "common" words won't return search results either because they get filtered out by the database software (such as it, and, the, etc) in order to provide the search engine at all.

Searching for something in quotes *should* work better actually depending on what you're looking for because you actually can target entire phrases that way.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
Oh! lol Okay. I just assumed it wasn't working as well because of the way I had it set up, (I don't actually utilize the search a lot personally, but wanted it there for members who do) but if that's not the case then I'm obviously not gonna worry about it.

Thanks for the help owl John
PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | General Support | Next Newest »

Options Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll