Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

CPU Saver Gone?
#
I wanted to make an inquiry about the CPU Saver Options menu, it seems to be missing out of my ACP. My question if this has been removed, why has it? I don't think its in that 1 to 2 percentile of unused options like the army system or some of the logs that aren't really monitored by users. So whats up, what is this? The reason I bring this up is because some of the features like "Users Browsing this topic" and the "User Legend" options are something I use and it seems like there is no way to really tweak with these in the other forum setup menus. If the CPU Saving thing is gone I dont really mind, but maybe these options can be part of the General Config menu instead?

This post has been edited by Stargazer: Jan 30 2017, 01:58 PM
PM
#
Stargazer all options in CPU saving were moved to "general configuration." I did put out a tweet about this, but will make an Admin CP announcement later today.

edit: and, announcement posted.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
Just so it doesn't take up space, I'll ask a new question here. Where is the skin color editor? I usually use that to find out where the colors are when editing themes but that seems to be gone. If you removed it, thats kind of disappointing as manually trying to find every single color position is a very daunting task for those of us non-skinners. Is there no alterative to this?
PM
#
It's been gone for a very long time now, I did not remove it recently -- I think I pulled it when the HTML templates came along. It was also depreciated. We dealt with more people destroying their skins rather than not with it because it did not work well with modern elements. It would utterly trash anything that was not simplistic by 2004 standards.

We have a complete skinning guide with detailed screenshots as well in the wiki. If you need to check what element goes where, it's also built-in to most browsers where you can right click on what you're trying to edit and see the element's* name

http://jcink.com/main/wiki/jfb-skinning
http://jcink.com/main/wiki/jfb-skinning-css-guide

Also let me know if you need any help finding anything, we're always here.

signature
#
See that's why I've been kind of getting a little miffed though. Cause without it, there's even more of a chance to mess up as a result. Can't that part of the system be re-added not as a color editor but rather for finding where everything goes at the very least? The guide itself is kind of general that doesn't really speak for custom themes either.

This post has been edited by Stargazer: Feb 15 2017, 07:06 PM
PM
#
I can take it as a future feature suggestion of sort to re-add for sure. I'd like to make a color editor or sorts that actually works properly at some point, as the old one was too broken to even build upon. The more customized the skin is where it would also fail the most.

Most designers don't care about things like that but I do understand that everyone isn't a designer or knows css. I do apologize about its removal, but hope you can understand why I took it out.

The best way to find out where anything is in a design: use "inspect element" in your web browser -- I really don't think we're going to be able to build a more convenient tool than that.

signature
#
Is there any way you could use the HTML editor and some tags to create one? Like, you could insert the tags into the CSS and then change them in the ACP. Then they change across the entire skin and with minimal effort. Allow the user to choose the number of colors / tags that they want to use, and let them go hog wild? Just a thought. Might be easy enough to implement with the HTML builder under construction right now anyway, but I really have no idea. Just a thought.
#
It's unfortunately not that simple at all. It would be nice to make a graphical interface that generates CSS, but it is not a priority and it would be a complex feature to take on.

That being said, CSS is also not really that difficult to work with either. An afternoon of w3schools will pretty much tell you everything you need to know. If someone is not sure where an element is, that's where "inspect element" in the browser comes in handy which takes away the guess work.

I rarely even have to look at the documentation anymore because of this feature available in most modern browsers. When you don't know what something is, right click, inspect element, boom.

signature
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Feedback and Discussion | Next Newest »

Options Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll