Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Curious
#
Would you all join a finished site that had one of Jcink's premade basic skins on it? All boards start with the standard red/white skin. I know the jcink pre-mades in the admin CP have the different color variations. Would you join a site if a site was finished and one of those color alternatives for their skin? I know it's a basic skin, but it's a skin that looks good on all browsers (Chrome, Firefox, etc.) and all devices (phone/tablet/computer/etc.) it's also relatively easy for those new to Jcink to navigate around it.

signature
RP Genres I love: Historical Fiction, Arranged Marriage, Mutants (Xmen), Vampires, Anime (message for specific); Jcink/IF preferance; your site fit this? Hit me up with a PM user posted image
YA Book Feedback Wanted!
Survey, 100% Anonymous (Google Docs) Sexual Orientation!
*New*My Tumblr!

Pomo community wants YOUR feedback on their new forum!
Help me grow my pokemon user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
PM
#
Speaking from my own personal use of forums over many years: would I join a site that used a default skin, in general? Yes, absolutely. There are actually quite a lot of boards that just use the default skin and get by perfectly fine. Their content is king.

As an example, we host http://scientificlinuxforum.org/ -- it doesn't use the default JFH skin but it uses a very "plain jane" theme from the importer with their logo slapped on it. The board does its job, however. It's a support board for a Linux OS. Users do not come there for a flashy or fully decked out design. They come for help, discussion, support, and the searchable database of questions. Many of them probably have no idea about what software is being used or that the skin is a default-ish style to begin with.

BUT I'm not saying that using the default skin is "ok", and that last bit is why it is important to consider your audience. There are certainly some genre's of forum that having a default layout will come across as being lazy. And there's no getting around that. Potential members become afraid that if the administrator didn't care enough to put up a skin that isn't default or simply something premade, then they won't want to join.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
I wouldn't personally join a site that uses the default, because it isn't pretty.

signature
user posted image user posted image user posted image
#
I've always thought that content is more important than skin, and I could be swayed if I really like the plot but a lot of people - from my experience - will join a site if it looks more pretty because it's pleasing by the eye.
The old saying of "don't judge a book by it's cover" doesn't work, because people are more likely going to look around if they like what they are looking at.
personally, i probably wouldn't join a site with the default skin, no.
PM
#
Depends on what kind of forum it is for me:

Chat/Discussion/User Support - Yes because the content on thos boards outweighs what it looks like to me, and that should be their focus not their skin.

Resource Forum - Maybe, Resource Forums though should kind of give you a feel for what you may find there, and if the people creating the board and providing the resources don't feel confident enough in them to use them on their own skin/layout then I would question that a bit.

Roleplay Forum - No, let me explain why. On a roleplay forum you're creating an "environment" to roleplay in, the storyline, the history, the characters and NPC's all are a part of this, but the forum should also project that environment and one of the best ways to do this is through it's theme or skin. It helps people new to roleplaying get into it and really "feel" in the role, and it helps the older roleplayers also feel as though they are drawn into the world further.

So for me while some forums are fine with the plain skin and their own logo built in or whatever others I feel would be at a disadvantage in that scenario. It all depends.

signature

user posted image
DeviantArt | Email: crystal@jcink.com | Blog: Seriously Lacqueing

user posted image user posted image user posted image
RPG-Resources
List your forum in our Directory today!
#
As somebody who appreciates retro web design and outdated standards, I more or less only care about the content. That's not to say I'm completely not fussy, because it needs to look pleasing and not rushed (i.e. easily readable).

The default skin on Jcink is extremely readable and nice to the eyes, not being too bright while being good enough, so I like it.
#
QUOTE (Crystal @ Jan 22 2017, 03:56 PM)

Roleplay Forum - No, let me explain why. On a roleplay forum you're creating an "environment"  to roleplay in, the storyline, the history, the characters and NPC's all are a part of this, but the forum should also project that environment and one of the best ways to do this is through it's theme or skin. It helps people new to roleplaying get into it and really "feel" in the role, and it helps the older roleplayers also feel as though they are drawn into the world further.

So for me while some forums are fine with the plain skin and their own logo built in or whatever others I feel would be at a disadvantage in that scenario. It all depends.

This, all the way.
I don't mind if you use the Jcink forum templates in profiles and topics and forums and whatnot, but the general layout has to be something that immerses myself in the world I'm about to engage in.

I'm also a total prude when it comes to webdesign and graphics design, haha.
PM
#
    To keep it succinct, if I'm going to be spending all my time on the forum, it has to be pleasing. This means it needs to match the tone, level, and immersion of the site. Since I don't join general boards or message forums (just role-play forums), it needs to be something more than the default. Customized preferably, with all the bells and whistles, because I'm going to be spending all my time there and nowhere else, honestly. Also, I have social media and Tumblr to handle my general discussions and the like.
PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Feedback and Discussion | Next Newest »

Options Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll