Attention:

Support Rules and Guidelines
Before you post your support topic, please remember to:
  • Read the support forum rules.
  • Check the wiki and use search to see if your problem can be answered there first.
  • Link your board please, and make sure that the problem on your board is visible to guests or provide a test account.
  • Do not post Board Wrappers and CSS unless requested. With a board link, this is not necessary.
  • Be as descriptive as you can and use as many details as possible when describing your problem.
  • Please briefly mark any links to forums that may not be work-safe.
This will help ensure your support issue will be attended to in a quick and efficient manner.

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Zetaboards to Jcink
#
I think I know the answer to this as I asked a few years ago but maybe things have changed.

Is it possible to convert a ZB forum to Jcink? Sadly, ZB is shafting us all by selling out to Tapatalk and they're going to be converting our forums to TT, against our will. If we WERE able to get ZB to let us download our databases, would you guys be able to convert it to a Jcink forum? Or does anyone have any hands on experience of the "crawler" type of converters? I know thats a bit risky but my forum is a 10+year old community with SOOO much content on it and TT looks awful, we don't want it but we don't want to lose so much content either...

Anyone in the same boat or any advice to save our forum?
PM
#
Unfortunately, it is not. There is no way to get the database from zetaboards. They refuse to provide it. If they DO offer such a feature to allow their users to download the database; and there was a high enough demand for it, I could write a converter like I did for InvisionFree, and others. Passwords would probably have to be reset, since I sincerely doubt they are using the same hashing scheme... but the general forum structure, posts, members, groups, would be retained.

I've been getting these requests lately and it's painful to say that there's really nothing we can do. Best of luck.

If you do choose to host with us, remember, database downloads here are free and have been since the start of the service.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
I'm looking into Jcink following Tapatalk/ZetaBoards announcing the transfer for various reasons including that it took a week to get any questions answered by Tapatalk and none still by Brandon.

I've used InvisionFree in the past, would you say that Jcink is similar to it?
I know both are modified builds of IPB, but I haven't heard of Jcink until alternatives were being floated around the various ZetaBoards communities as possible alternatives.
PM
#
It's similar, but we have done so many upgrades and updates to the software in terms of features. InvisionFree is (was?) more like vanilla IPB 1.3 when it came out in 2003 but even more simplified/restricted.

signature
#
It is qute similar, I registered a test board a few nights ago and felt at home immediately. Quite a few improvements and additions that I am still trying to figure out, but this service is #1 on my list of where to head to.

I just hope at this point ZB/TT sees the sensibility in offering a database download. That is one big reason I have been looking at this service, the fact I can backup and download the database, including free of charge. http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif
PM
#
Assuming there is a way to get the data in XML format (posts and users only) would that be enough?
#
The format of the data won't really matter me as long as it's logically laid out in some fashion that can be parsed by a conversion tool (xml is fine). And if it is obtained from ZB and that is all they are willing to provide - yes, that will work.

However if you are talking about data obtained from crawler converters, due to legal problems with the use of crawlers we can't support those imports.

signature
#
QUOTE (John @ May 16 2018, 10:32 PM)
The format of the data won't really matter me as long as it's logically laid out in some fashion that can be parsed by a conversion tool (xml is fine). And if it is obtained from ZB and that is all they are willing to provide - yes, that will work.

However if you are talking about data obtained from crawler converters, due to legal problems with the use of crawlers we can't support those imports.

Ah, darn. Would've been awesome. I absolutely understand your position and won't pursue it any further.
#
No problem - and sorry, it would be nice, but we just can't risk it

signature
#
Hi John, is it still a legal issue even if it doesn't actually forbid this in the ZB terms of service? Forgive us, we're all just scrambling to try and find out how to get our board content over to Jcink and we're just getting ignored frankly when asking for the databases
PM
#
My Zetaboard was small, so we all agreed to just pack up and start fresh over here. One of the reasons we decided to do that was because John's answer in this forum showed him to be a genuinely decent person, and willing to work with people.

At this point the only thing I want out of some database download would be to have our user database so not everyone would have to re-register. Still, considering our size it's not too troublesome, I don't think.

signature
#
QUOTE (Amaris @ May 16 2018, 11:43 PM)
My Zetaboard was small, so we all agreed to just pack up and start fresh over here. One of the reasons we decided to do that was because John's answer in this forum showed him to be a genuinely decent person, and willing to work with people.

At this point the only thing I want out of some database download would be to have our user database so not everyone would have to re-register. Still, considering our size it's not too troublesome, I don't think.

My forum is quite large so it's a bit more difficult to just uproot and start a fresh, we're looking into all possible options to get our data over to jcink
PM
#
I joined Jcink after some difficulties with Invisionfree, and what I did at the time was link to my previous board as an archive.

I'm not really sure if that's doable for yall or what the conversion going on at zetaboards entails, but I hope that they find it in themselves to hand over your databases either way.

signature
Kindly do not contact me on Discord or PM me for support.

user posted image
#
QUOTE (owl @ May 17 2018, 03:36 AM)
I joined Jcink after some difficulties with Invisionfree, and what I did at the time was link to my previous board as an archive.

I'm not really sure if that's doable for yall or what the conversion going on at zetaboards entails, but I hope that they find it in themselves to hand over your databases either way.

Thats what they should do after telling us 3-4 months ago that ZB absolutely would not be converted to TT.
PM
#
If the forum is active, it will be forced onto Tapatalk that allegedly will receive updates to include features ZB offered. What exactly they are, we don't know, and some features we asked about aren't going to be supported.
If the forum is inactive, from what I gather, it will be left behind.
(InvisionFree test forums are still around surprisingly as I discovered but who knows what'll happen to them once ZB closes.
http://support.zathyus.com/topic/390947/1/?x=20 -> http://z4.invisionfree.com/Skin_277/index.php?act=idx)

Tapatalk has an inactivity policy that you need to post every 90 days to keep it going according to the ToS so I'm not sure if we can truly keep our old forums as archives without having to remember to check in on them.

I had asked about database support after a Tapatalk staffer saying it's not normal to do so (IF had paid exports, Jcink has IF imports and it looks like free exports, and Icy I believe offers exports). After I mentioned that the staffer said they'll put it on the feedback list. I don't see it happening, for ZB or Tapatalk.

They're starting to send out our preview forums, but they're just previews of stock Tapatalk and no ZB updates are included.
(Why not wait until the updated version is available? Nobody knows.)

--
Edit.
ZB servers 7/11/15 and I believe 4 are currently down at the moment and Tapatalk had an outage yesterday so figure this'll be a good time to ask:
Does Jcink have outages often?
Is there anyway to check the server status in the event of one?
ZB/IF had an unsupported (and I believe) third-party site that would report the server status.
http://tachyondecay.net/php/bin/serverstatus.php

This post has been edited by Gaomon274: May 17 2018, 12:22 AM
PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | General Support | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll