Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Commas and Line Breaks
#
I'm not sure if this is a Jcink thing or if it's something going on with my computer, browser, or whatever else, but essentially, when posting and nearing the end of a line of text in the text input box, if the line ends in a comma it adds in a line break. I'm not sure if this happens with other forms of punctuation, as I have not run into a situation where it played out that way.
PM
#
Where exactly is this happening?

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
When posting a new topic in the main text entry field. CSS wise .textinput

I'm not certainly if it happens in every instance of .textinput or solely in that instance, but I am positive that this has never been an issue in the past. I'll provide some screen caps so you can see what I'm talking about more clearly. Also, I've confirmed that this happens with all types of punctuation but not with any other characters.

user posted image

So in the above image, you can see how the last line of entered text before the closing tag ends in a comma. I've not yet entered a space after the comma, as you can see in the image below where I've stretched the size of the text area.

user posted image

Then, when I do enter a space, this happens.

user posted image

Notice how there's a space prior to the first word in the next line? That space is converted to a line break. If I preview the post I get this.

user posted image

So naturally, when I see that extra space in there, my first instinct is to just remove it with a single backspace, which yields the image below.

user posted image

And that renders as the following:

user posted image

Exactly the same as the previous rendering, as you can see. So then I backspace again, which is strange because I only entered a single space after the comma before I began typing again. That yields what you'd expect after one single backspace, seeing as there was only one space to begin with.

user posted image

And that yields the result you would expect when the post is previewed. So, if you enter another space after backspacing twice, everything aligns the way it should. You get this in the text entry field.

user posted image

Which is what should happen naturally when a new line is started in this fashion and is what happens when it ends with a character that is not punctuation. This also renders properly, as you can see below.

user posted image

It's also worth nothing that if I were to get to the point reached by the third image I posted, where the next line starts with a space, and then attempt to backspace twice before adding another space (which fixes the issue) and then continue to add new text, the issue just repeats itself. So I have to do it after the text following the punctuation is entered for it to be work.

So, my conclusion is that there's a line break being thrown in for whatever reason. I don't know if this is a Jcink issue or if it's something else, and obviously, it's not the end of the world, but when you do a lot of writing it definitely starts to grate on the nerves having to go back and fix things every time a line breaks with a comma. Also, as I said, this is a new thing, something that I've noticed only in the last few days, maybe up to a week.

If it can be fixed, that would be fabulous, if it can't or the problem can't be identified — like I said — it's not the end of the world, and I can live with it. I just wanted to bring it to your attention.

UPDATE: Also, I've confirmed that at least one other person is having this issue. So I know it's not a "me" thing, though it might still be something related specifically to my forum.

This post has been edited by kstark: Apr 20 2017, 08:57 AM
PM
#
Thank your for the detailed information. I strongly feel that this is an isolated bug to your forum, possibly within the bbcode system for the ones you're using, although I'm not 100% sure.

I will need a copy of all of your bbcode to see if I get the same problem on this forum for starters.

signature
#
I can also confirm that this happens not just when using custom bbcode, but with dohtml, or just posting text, if that helps any.

As far as a copy of all bbcode, what format do you want it in? The actual html markups for each custom bbcode? And here's a link to the forum if that helps: FORUM

UPDATE: I tested this on another forum I'm a member of, which I should have done from the get-go I now realize, and have confirmed that this is an issue there as well.

This post has been edited by kstark: Apr 20 2017, 11:10 AM
PM
#
Just posting this block of text alone, you are saying it happens to you?

Ashur is Brynden's cousin and when he was fourteen, he spent four years being fostered in Lockinge, both to get to know his mother's family and to get away from his father, whom he did not care for in the slightest. Like Brynden, Ashur was always more interested in artistic pursuits that martial studies, primarily music and literature.

Is that correct? bbcode is not necessary if the problem can be reproduced with just posting the text only and nothing else.

signature
#
I think the issue has to do with having a closing tag on the right side of the cursor when entering text. I've got some more screencaps, and these are taken here on the Support Forum, which leads me to believe it's not related to my site.

user posted image

Okay, so I started to reply to this and I reached an instance of a comma happening at the end of the line, as you can see above, so I decided to play around with it.

user posted image

I hit space, typed in some text, and as you can see above, it jumped to the next line just like it should. Then I decided to add a closing tag to the end to see if that had anything to do with it. Then I ran into the same issue as before with both a standard bbcode tag and a div tag.

user posted image

user posted image

So there's an obvious solution here in just dropping the closing tag a line below.

This post has been edited by kstark: Apr 20 2017, 11:47 AM
PM
#
That's weird, though. I've never had this issue on my own sites or sites that I've been a part of even though I know I've typed posts with closing tags to the right of the cursor as I type.
PM
#
CamilleNicole

Like I said, it's a new issue as far as I can tell. Within the last week or so.
PM
#
I'm sorry, I just can't make this issue happen for me, or I'm missing the boat somewhere. I waited until I got to the end, put a space, and then tried adding a tag to the end and previewed my post as well as post directly and it is not adding a new line inadvertently. Tell me if this was not the correct way to check for the issue.

I should also note that there is no change to the code base this week that would have suddenly introduced this issue. The last datestamped changed to the Post engine is stamped 5:46 PM Thursday, January 26, 2017.

What is that icon in the corner of your text input box, by the way?

Attached 1 File(s)
Attached Image

signature
#
The tag has to be there from the start, as far as I can tell, so if you added the tag in afterward, that might be the reason. If you did add the tag afterward, pop the [/DOHTML] tag in first then add the text in front of it. If you already tried it that way, however, then I'm not sure.

As for the icon, it's Grammarly.
PM
#
With that block of text. no, it doesn't line up that way, but the actual text itself isn't I, [/DOHTML]

signature
#
In the above post, I first made the post with the [/DOHTML] closing tag. I then went back and edited it, and popped the text, WITHOUT "asdf" of course to match yours. After posting I checked for new line syndrome and I couldn't find any new line insertion. Also tried just straight up posting:

CODE
With that block of text. no, it doesn't line up that way, but the actual text itself isn't I, [/DOHTML]

Strange indeed.

signature
#
    Okay, so I just tried this on my forum and got the same results as the original poster. Let me try to walk through the steps I did and see if I can explain it well.

STEP ONE
    Created the text as normal, but got to the comma at the end of the line and hit space, then kept typing:

[doHTML]The testing thing worked I guess but IDK if it's going to work with the lack, anything going on

It came out the following:

user posted image

STEP TWO
    I went back into the post and after putting my cursor at the start of the word directly after the comma, I hit backspace until the word and comma were touching, then hit the spacebar twice. I then hit the backspace one time to remove the "extra space", and submitted the post to get the following:

user posted image

Now it has a line break after the comma, which is very strange. But when I go to edit the post it says there's no line break entered, and just the regular ole space.

I never noticed this and thought it had to do with the following setting:

No. characters to word wrap on?

I always set that to 100 because, well, that's what I did with the setting when it was on Invisionfree. I have the distinct feeling it has nothing to do with that, however.
PM
#
When you "inspect element" of that posting, please screenshot what it shows. I want to know if there is a <br> or a \n or visible space anywhere.

signature
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Bug Reports | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll