Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Resource Content Management System (CMS)
#

This is something I have been quietly developing over the past couple weeks. It is not something anyone has really requested or wantd -- so, first I need to say that this development is intended for our use only. We are building a simple CMS / Content Management System module that fits our needs.

What do I mean by this? We're looking to consolidate resources (skins / codes / graphics / templates ) for JFH into a searchable, organized database system rather than being within a forum. It will also be better than searching the support forum for known solutions, and ranked by a simple "likes" system (no - we are not working on the full like system yet.)

So, all this requires us to build a custom solution and that's what we're doing.

The CMS is located here for now, and will not work on any other forum except this one. Please be advised that there is not much to do here at this time, but you can browse and get an idea of what we're doing.

https://forum.jcink.com/index.php?act=cms

I have decided to build out this system while catering to our needs, to also abstract it as much as possible. If there is great interest from the JFH admin community in seeing something like this available as a feature on your boards, I will build out an admin panel for it with additional options.

Right now there are zero plans to do so, as I have no idea how much interest there would possibly be in something like this which may only work for a small subset of communities.

This thread will serve as the development journal for this feature and for general talk / discussion about it. I plan to get this done very quickly as what I have already was completed in a couple week's time.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
Most of the sections have nothing in them right now while I continue to work on this. So here's a link to the only item there is:

https://forum.jcink.com/index.php?act=cms&p=vr&id=5

signature
#
    As a note, my girlfriend and I wanted to create a coding/resource type forum that teaches people how to correctly create codes/skins for Jcink forums and this would be amazing to have. We had something like this on our MyBB resource forum using xthreads and then a php plugin we coded ourselves. In short, I would so volunteer to alpha test this if you needed a guinea pig.

I think this can also be used by RP forums as a codex for lore submissions. I know having to use a forum is hard for this because formatting, etc. I love the idea of using it for a kind of codex.

This post has been edited by multiplicity!: May 30 2017, 04:31 PM
PM
#
QUOTE (multiplicity! @ May 30 2017, 04:29 PM)
...I think this can also be used by RP forums as a codex for lore submissions. I know having to use a forum is hard for this because formatting, etc. I love the idea of using it for a kind of codex.

When I read the announcement I scrolled down to say just this. Looks like a neat feature!

signature
user posted image
#
so nice for easy navigation. Would it have plugin .zip files for downloads in future?

signature
I need ideas to making a better forum .. http://sunchat.jcink.net
#
Thanks for the responses! That's cool http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif

I will keep building it and keep that in mind as well. There is really nothing to test from an admin end at this time, since there's no admin panel options for anything but as this evolves I'll let you know.

signature
#
John I love this idea. I love how it is organized user posted image and I agree it is much better than having a forum decide what type of designs to prioritize user posted image even if I hate the icons from the last decade in there. That said, there is a part of me that is surprised that this idea gets a topic before a bunch of other stuff gets fixed or added on to.

~~~~~

In any case, while I'm here, I will throw out a few things I would want to see/think would help:

- Tags that you could search would be absolutely wonderful. This would help with skins designed for RP content, ones with chatboxes versus shoutboxes, specific themes, etc. The board needs a tagging system too so maybe they can be developed simultaneously or have this tagging system dovetail into the forum one.

- Make sure that all files uploaded to the CMS are uploaded to a database that you control. If you put something up there, you don't want to have a bunch of dead links or skins that don't work because of someone deleting their board or heaven forbid delete all the files to skins because they don't agree with something...not that this would ever happen user posted image

- Talk with sites that you know would have resources already and submissions to populate the database before it goes out of beta. I'm sure Rarez could submit all of the codes and skins from way back when that still work under his name, not to mention Shine and Caution with all of their skins and designers based out of there.

- Also Gunblaza should challenge himself to finish his bootstrap 4 alpha based skin before this goes out of Beta.

I'll probably think of more things but I like this as a summer project and I am here to help see it through if you need me http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif

This post has been edited by GMaster479: May 30 2017, 10:50 PM

signature
user posted image
#
Tagging is a great idea, and will be added in some form, but the systems will not be the same. Files uploaded will be stored on our server for sure. I won't be looking to petition anyone to add content to it for a while. I have so much content of my own in the form of little code snippets and other helpful bits that I'll start filling this with. Once the system is more finalized and I have it filled with everything that I can from my end I'll do more with it.

I'm expecting this system to be ready for use and to take submissions sometime this coming month, there just won't be any Admin CP tools for it beyond my own to edit / delete/ modify / approve etc. That will come later if there's a lot of interest in this.

. That said, there is a part of me that is surprised that this idea gets a topic before a bunch of other stuff gets fixed or added on to.

There are many things to work on, including HTTPS which I'm still doing behind the scenes, but this is a relaxing project I can work on that will be done relatively quickly for great benefit.

signature
#
Yeah, I've been thinking about it and I find that I'm giving a lot of support again and again, which - I'm not complaining, I do it voluntarily. But sometimes I can't find something I've written before and I have to do it all again, and I think this would be really helpful in those experiences, particularly with thumps up / thumbs down moderation, because I think it will make it more "living" then some of the documentation we have now, if that makes sense? Like sometimes features change so quickly it's hard for documentation to catch up - or trends require support on a feature that, not long ago, was fairly obscure or simple etc. etc. etc. and this would likely help with that.

signature
user posted image
#
Woul love it have a direct 'install and uninstall plugin' link in the future in the admin panel where an admin could easily install a plugin and disable with a click.... Including themes, etc.
can submission be made now,cos I have pretty things to add that many may find useful.... ???

signature
I need ideas to making a better forum .. http://sunchat.jcink.net
#
It is doubtful that there will be "one click plugin" installs with this system. Because most "plugins" for the service are just javascript. They are not ever going to be actual plugins that touch the database.

As I said in the first post, no, submission cannot be made now and will not be openly available to users for a while.

signature
#
This is blisteringly awesome but I have a question. Will it be kept updated?

At the moment there is a problem that admins who don't know better are using outdated bits/codes/scripts and things just because they happen to be around. I know there are 'tutorials' or complex jQuery scripts being used to achieve things that are not effortless and still in circulation.

As an example the script that transformed vertical mini-profiles to horizontal is still being used but with HTML tables is uneeded. Would something like that be removed and/or would there be a way for users to flag something for suggested editing/removal?
PM
#
That is probably happening because when google searches are run for

"[thing someone is looking to do] jcink"

they get whatever support thread it is that points them to it.

with a little search engine optimization those will start getting directed to the cms, i intend to add to it whenever i help someone with a code on here. i would like each resource to have its own help / discussion thread associated as well where suggestions could be made.

it will need manual grooming no matter what, there's absolutely no way around that, but it's a lot easier to manage this way.

signature
#
CMS work is moving along on my development board. The actual full submission process is a lot to handle so I'm still working on it. The view for the content now includes a sliding image gallery with full screen options. The form options have been expanded as well. The file icon is junk, I know, it will be changed. Much will be polished/changed probably.

In short: it's still evolving http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Attached 3 File(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

signature
#
This seems remarkably handy! Would submissions have an area to define search tags, and possibly a comment box for back and forth feedback?
PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Development News | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll