Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

About user created groups, What ARE they?
#
Hey smile.gif

So I want to start by saying that my forum is based on a TV show called wolfblood and so, as you can guess by the name, has a base around wolves (and creatures like werewolves but not monsters and some other significant differences)... and so, in the show there are packs.

At the moment my board just has member groups, one for humans and two for wolfbloods (tame and wild). but it doesn't cater for packs that happen within the show or user's ones... and I'm contemplating the idea of pack forums to give members a more pack-feel on the forum, so that members can keep each other up to date on goings on with each other's characters if they affect the rest of the pack or if the other pack members would likely know about friendships and enemies etc so that their characters can react to other characters with this in mind... I'm not going to lie, I'm not really sure what it would be used for, but it seems something I should play around with.

I don't want to create member groups for the packs though... and I was wondering if possibly user-created groups could be used for it.... but the problem is I'm not sure what user created groups do or are? Are they useful for this sort of function?

If a member created a user created group, can they, as the group leader, create a pack forum themselves and moderate that forum? or can it be used as a permission mask or anything? Does it allow them to PM everyone in the group without PMing every member by name? Can they talk within the user created group page? because I've read that there's a list of group names where you can join groups and stuff?

Also, am I as the admin able to make the ability to create/join groups a shop item or to allow it on a member-by-member basis?

I don't know... but why use user created groups? what are they for? They don't show up instead of the member group on mini-profiles do they?

What are the positives and negatives of using them, if there are any?

I'm sorry that this is such a general topic, but I couldn't find any information on them except how to make them work.

signature
user posted image
PM
#
The user-created group feature allows someone to start a group, which then automatically creates a forum that they have very limited moderation over. Others can join that group by approval and then they get access to post and view that forum.

If a member created a user created group, can they, as the group leader, create a pack forum themselves and moderate that forum?

To a degree. They can moderate it to an extent, but don't have full moderation power. Their greatest ability it to simply be able to kick someone from the group who is misbehaving, which will prevent them access from using the forum.

Does it allow them to PM everyone in the group without PMing every member by name? Can they talk within the user created group page?

Yes, there's group descriptions. So the group gets their own page, and of course, own forum.

because I've read that there's a list of group names where you can join groups and stuff?

Yes, that's how it works -- all the groups are listed on the usergroups index page.

What are the positives and negatives of using them, if there are any?

Positive; saves some time and effort having to make forums and assign mods to each and join stuff. Negative; the system hasn't been updated in a while and has some quirks, but nothing that would be a show stopper. Biggest problem with it is that it does not work with mobile mode.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
So these groups are different than usergroups; are they listed somewhere in the profile and / or miniprofile when one joins a group? Where does one go to implement these? I am, as you can probably tell, curious about this.

Edit: For posterity, here's the documentation on them.

This post has been edited by owl: Apr 26 2015, 02:15 PM

signature
user posted image
#
QUOTE (owl @ Apr 26 2015, 02:07 PM)
So these groups are different than usergroups; are they listed somewhere in the profile and / or miniprofile when one joins a group.

Edit: For posterity, here's the documentation on them.

Yes they are very different. They aren't listed in their profile, just in the groups module itself.

signature
#
I've turned it on and such, but I'm having a difficult time finding the group module itself - or any place an account can make a group. I'm probably just overlooking something, but is there anywhere specifically I should be looking?

signature
user posted image
#
It's at index.php?act=usergroups - but they need to be enabled under Users & Groups > User Created Groups

signature
#
See, that's what I thought when I went and checked using a default skin (just in case the skin I have now is accidentally obscuring something) and when I'm logged into an admin account or a member account I get this message:

Thanks, Sorry, your group is not allowed to view other usergroups.

Please wait while we transfer you...

(Or click here if you do not wish to wait)

Here are the settings I'm editing, if that helps. I think what I missed has something to do with, "Don't forget that after you set these, you should look in the member groups area for per-group settings and set them up." I'm just not understanding what that means, for some reason.

signature
user posted image
#
Users & Groups > Manage the groups like admin, member, etc and find the settings there. It has per-group permissions. Sorry it is not more intuitive.

signature
#
QUOTE (John @ Apr 26 2015, 08:41 PM)
Users & Groups > Manage the groups like admin, member, etc and find the settings there. It has per-group permissions. Sorry it is not more intuitive.

Dang, I checked there but I must have overlooked it. For anyone else having this issue, crtl + f "Can make new groups?" Anyway, thanks a lot for the help!

signature
user posted image
#
On that page that Owl linked, it says 'Note - Once a group is created, be sure to check the permission masks to ensure the forum is only viewable to those desired to see it. ' how do you edit permission masks to only show for members in that group and not for all members/no members? Do you have to add them to a mask whenever someone joins the group? or is it automatic? Who do we have to allow to see it before the users create the groups for it?

This post has been edited by TheTrueMe: Apr 27 2015, 12:21 PM

signature
user posted image
PM
#
That really should just be removed, because it's misleading. The permissions are handled already by the user group mod. They only need to be set if you want to override. Ex: Let's say you have a group forum, but you want everyone with a certain mask to always be able to see it and use it regardless of their membership status within the group. That's the only reason that would need to be touched.

signature
#
So, who do we allow to see it (or the category, if it's set to make the forum in a category instead of another forum) before groups are created to claim it?

Do we set it for all members to see it or just have it invisible or?

signature
user posted image
PM
#
The category, or forum that these groups are going to be automatically making new forums in should be viewable by members, admins, all of that. For example it would be useless to assign new group forum creation to a category that is "Disabled" - no one would be able to use them or see them.

beyond that - the actual group forums that get created automatically by the system are all handled on their own.

signature
#
Okay thanks smile.gif

Oh also, I forgot... I assume that since you didn't say anything about it in your first reply that the ability to create user created groups can't be made shop items?

This post has been edited by TheTrueMe: Apr 27 2015, 01:33 PM

signature
user posted image
PM
#
Yeah, sorry for the confusion. I wrote the system a few years ago now as a request, never did a complete documentation and write-up on it. It still has some things that today I find clunky (needing to specify a forum ID and category ID).

And no, they cannot be made shop items, sorry. There's no compatible shop item.

signature
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Feedback and Discussion | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll