Attention:

Support Rules and Guidelines
Before you post your support topic, please remember to:
  • Read the support forum rules.
  • Check the wiki and use search to see if your problem can be answered there first.
  • Link your board please, and make sure that the problem on your board is visible to guests or provide a test account.
  • Do not post Board Wrappers and CSS unless requested. With a board link, this is not necessary.
  • Be as descriptive as you can and use as many details as possible when describing your problem.
  • Please briefly mark any links to forums that may not be work-safe.
This will help ensure your support issue will be attended to in a quick and efficient manner.

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) ClosedNew TopicNew Poll

Sub Accounts [SOLVED] , members
#
I would like to ask is there any way to make creating sub accounts for members simpler? As it stands they need to log out, re-register with a new account, etc etc.

Would it not be far easier just to have a 'create sub account' tab on their profile which is so straight forward. I've had now three prospective members turn me down because of that alone.
PM
#
Unfortunately no, not at this time, but this is something that will be implemented in the future.

side note: while it's not convenient, that's a really strange deal breaker to turn down a forum entirely imho.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
I don't know how much this will help because your potential members seem easily frustrated, but you actually don't have to log out to register a new account if a 'register a new account' link is provided manually. You'd still have to bind it as a sub-account yourself, but that shaves off one step at least.

Here's a related feature request I made in case you want to add a comment to it.

signature
user posted image
#
QUOTE (owl @ Oct 6 2017, 04:53 PM)
I don't know how much this will help because your potential members seem easily frustrated, but you actually don't have to log out to register a new account if a 'register a new account' link is provided manually. You'd still have to bind it as a sub-account yourself, but that shaves off one step at least.

Here's a related feature request I made in case you want to add a comment to it.

Ahh I had forgotten about this. That's right -- I was going to take out the entire step of needing linking and auto fill the form. Thanks for linking this. I jut mad ea note to get this done sooner since it's an easy change to at least have a new account made while logged in automatically bind itself (with options)

signature
#
Yes some people are very picky and so easily turned off. I had one guy turn me down because he won't even do sub accounts. He is from my own site (one of them) and we don't use them there, but I think his experience may also come from somewhere else. One girl turned me down because she a/ doesn't like complicated mini profiles to be filled in and b/ she said the mandatory avatar size was far too big and too distracting to see when posting. Especially with the little animated gif images on them. (not my choice).

So yes, anything that can make the process simpler would be great.

QUOTE (owl @ Oct 7 2017, 06:53 AM)

We don't have that feature on our board.
PM
#
Neat, John - no rush from me, but I'm always excited when things get buffed.

Mim - which feature?

Also, I don't know if it'll make you feel better and I know it's not part of the support thread, but you might have dodged a bullet. It's been my experience, although yours may have differed, that members that are that hyper-sensitive about what sorts of site they may join tend to expect staff to bend over backwards to please them, constantly. Of course, there are exceptions.

At any rate, if there's any features in your miniprofile you'd like removed I'm sure it's doable if you post here. ^^

signature
user posted image
#
owl, the 'register new account' if you're already logged in. Or is that something else we need to add?

There is a bit of an argument going on at the moment between me and my site partner. She is all for adding every conceivable feature that springs into her head, such as having templates for everything; whereas I am more for KISS. So it'll be a while before I can convince her some things are just a waste of time.
PM
#
Sounds frustrating; hopefully you two can land on some common ground.

Regarding registering when you're already logged in, you simply need to add a link to do so somewhere, as such:

CODE
<A href="/index.php?act=Reg&CODE=00">Register a new account</a>

But this only removed the need to log out first, nothing else.

signature
user posted image
#
That would work. What section in the ACP do I put that in?

At this point, its a case of waiting I guess. I may even have to end up going alone as she can't seem to make up her mind from one day to the next what she wants to do. Its been a little over 3 weeks now and we're still not open. Very frustrating for me as it isn't how I work. Generally, 2-3 days at the worst once I've began creating a new site. I think the longest ever has been a week.
PM
#
Wow, you're a fast worker! It usually takes me ages, but I'm always doing things the tough way.

It depends! In general, you're going to want to put it in the board wrappers, but where you put it depends on where you'd like it to show up. If you can link to your board and show me where you'd like to see it I can see if it's doable. Of course, you can put it in the board wrappers and play around with it until you get it where you want it, too.

signature
user posted image
#
Lol. Yes maybe. I don't use Jcink myself, my own boards are from another forum provider. Suffice to say for me, its been a simple matter of cloning my main board then making the required changes to create a new one.

linky

http://lostandalone.jcink.net/index.php

is it possible to place it somewhere on the very top menu bar? I did try without any success.
PM
#
It doesn't look like you have a custom member bar, so it's unlikely it can be added without creating a whole new one. Someone with Javascript knowledge might be able to correct me on that, though.

signature
user posted image
#
Looks like it. I have no clue how to fix it otherwise. I wonder if John could help on this one?
PM
#
I have made a change to the subaccount page and registration process. In the UserCP there is now a button that says "register a new account" on the subaccounts section. This will take you to the registration form while you are logged in. After registration, it will automatically make it a child account with no linking required. The parent account is taken back to the UserCP and the subaccounts index to clearly see the new account was added. You also will not be logged out of your current account.

Although it is still required to fill out the registration form, this is a huge improvement in expediting the creation of subaccounts. Hope this will work better for you Mim and owl give it a try please. I do want to add a quick checkbox whether to actually make it a subaccount or not while registering (with it checked as default) but I'll do that a bit later.

signature
#
*Yay* that works well http://files.b1.jcink.com/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif Thank you John, fantastic!
PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | General Support | Next Newest »

OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  ClosedNew TopicNew Poll