Attention:

Support Rules and Guidelines
Before you post your support topic, please remember to:
  • Read the support forum rules.
  • Check the wiki and use search to see if your problem can be answered there first.
  • Link your board please, and make sure that the problem on your board is visible to guests or provide a test account.
  • Do not post Board Wrappers and CSS unless requested. With a board link, this is not necessary.
  • Be as descriptive as you can and use as many details as possible when describing your problem.
  • Please briefly mark any links to forums that may not be work-safe.
This will help ensure your support issue will be attended to in a quick and efficient manner.

Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Disappearing Userlinks
#
So, as the title says, I've got some disappearing userlinks going on, on the site I help run, The House Always Sins. I'm generally the coding and graphics person on site, and while I'm not an expert I've gotten us out of jams before.

Until today.

I've checked with my staff, even on another board I've got on hiatus due to RL that I skinned (and not touched in MONTHS), and no coding has been changed on the site. When you come on as a guest, the links for the log in and register options don't show. As a logged in member our userlinks and the admin panel links don't show. At first, even our cbox didn't show up, but I did manage to get it to show. We've checked on multiple browsers. I can see everything on IE, but on Chrome, FF, Opera, and Torch people can't see them. I even checked Chrome and it's not showing.

All of the proper coding is there, so I'm at a loss for what to do. Help??

*Edit*

Forgot to add, that if we go to our Login page, the links ad such populate in the topbar, but for some members when they change pages/refresh, they disappear again.

This post has been edited by Aralisse: Oct 6 2016, 01:28 PM
PM
#
This seems to be what's doing it:

/* Guest/Member Stuff */
#guest, #member { display:none; }

You need to add something to the code to over-ride the display none for when one is logged in as a member or viewing the site as a guest. Does that clarify the issue for you, or do you need instructions on how exactly to manage that?

signature
user posted image
#
Odd, since we've never had the problem up until today/yesterday. Everything worked fine and then it just went haywire. If you could help work it out that'd be greatly appreciated since my brain is not wanting to work on coding. >.<
PM
#
bump. Still needing some help with this. I was in an area affected by the storm and was having to do a lot of prep work to get ready for it. Still a little frazzled and having problems sorting out what I need to for the override if I can get the help.
PM
#
Hmmm, well let's see. I'm not really sure why it was working before, otherwise I'd attempt to help you repair what went wrong, but I can help you try and figure out the method I use. Find the following in your board wrappers:

<body>

And change it to this:

<body ID="group<!-- |g_id| -->">

Then find what I mentioned in your CSS earlier:

/* Guest/Member Stuff */
#guest, #member { display:none; }

And change it to:

/* Guest/Member Stuff */
#guest, #group2 #member { display:none; }
#group2 #guest { display:block; }

edit: It looks like you added some inline styling to those elements we're attempting to target and you'll have to remove it for this to work.

PS / Hope you're safe through the storm, btw.

This post has been edited by owl: Oct 9 2016, 06:51 PM

signature
user posted image
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | General Support | Next Newest »

Options Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll