Attention:

Support Rules and Guidelines
Before you post your support topic, please remember to:
  • Read the support forum rules.
  • Check the wiki and use search to see if your problem can be answered there first.
  • Link your board please, and make sure that the problem on your board is visible to guests or provide a test account.
  • Do not post Board Wrappers and CSS unless requested. With a board link, this is not necessary.
  • Be as descriptive as you can and use as many details as possible when describing your problem.
  • Please briefly mark any links to forums that may not be work-safe.
This will help ensure your support issue will be attended to in a quick and efficient manner.

Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

spacing issues
#
so i've always been one to put a lot of effort into making sure when i write content, it doesn't have one little word hanging off the end of a paragraph onto the next line or something.

and i've been writing some threads for going on 8 months now. until today, they looked snazzy and aligned and exactly how i wanted them.

i have touched NOTHING in my coding.

suddenly, today i open a thread i saw as perfect last week and it's a MESS. word spacing has gone to hell in a handbasket, paragraphs aren't lining up the way they did before. everything is just wrongwrongwrong.

and i'm not sure what's going on? did something happen on jcink's end that would have caused this? i can't understand how things can look one way on one day and a week later look completely different when no one has touched content or coding between then.

This post has been edited by wallflower: Aug 23 2017, 05:37 PM
PM
#
Can you link to your board?

I am not staff here, so I can't say for sure, but usually when stuff like this happens it's something to do with one's browser rather than anything else.

signature
user posted image
#
linking my board won't help. it's a tester board that i haven't renewed the premium on yet so no one but myself can even see inside it.

that being said, the issue isn't isolated to my board. it's occurring on other people's sites as well.

and also i've checked on three different browsers and they're all experiencing the same issue. besides it's the same browser that it was fine on the other day.

edit: before it gets chalked up to me seeing things wrong, my coadmin sees the same issues on his computer.

This post has been edited by wallflower: Aug 23 2017, 06:54 PM
PM
#
We have made no changes at all that would have caused this. It's a browser and/or rendering issue. As I have not seen this issue here I am really unsure how to address this.

Can you screenshot + point out specifics?

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
#
how can it be either when i've just said it's happening across multiple browsers and on different devices?

i mean i can screenshot how it looks now. can't really show how it looked before?

user posted image

two days ago when i reviewed that thread the word choose was NOT on the line by itself that way. it was up with the others. and when i've touched nothing, not settings, not coding, not content, nothing, how can it just suddenly change? and it's not just on my board. things i've written in other places are doing it as well.

CODE
.darkness { margin:30px auto; width:440px; padding:70px; background-color:#f9f9f9; border:1px solid #ada8aa; text-align:justify; font-family:poppins; color:#37383d; font-size:11px; text-transform:none; font-weight:500; line-height:140%; letter-spacing:.5px; }
.darkness .thetitle { font-family:prompt; font-size:10px; text-transform:uppercase; font-weight:700; }
.darkness .toptitle { padding:0px 0px 36px; color:#4e2e47; font-size:34px; font-weight:600; text-shadow:1px 1px #d0d4db; letter-spacing:-1px; word-spacing:-2px; }
.darkness .toptitle x { padding:0px 0px 3px; border-bottom:1px solid #777; }
.darkness .inside { width:360px; padding:60px 40px; }
.darkness .subtitle { padding:24px 0px; text-align:right; font-family:prompt; color:#4e2e47; font-size:14px; text-transform:uppercase; font-weight:600; letter-spacing:0px; }
.darkness .subtitle x { padding:0px 0px 3px; border-bottom:1px solid #777; }
.darkness .bottom { width:440px; height:27px; position:relative; }
.darkness .bottom i { width:27px; height:27px; padding:0px 3px 0px 0px; text-align:center; font-size:24px; position:absolute; top:0px; right:0px; }
.darkness .bottom i:after { content:""; margin:-12px 0px 0px -260px; width:240px; height:1px; background-color:#777; display:block; }

CODE
[dohtml]<div class="darkness"><div class="thetitle">

<div class="toptitle"><x> angels </x></div>

</div><div class="inside">

In their natural forms, Angels appear as bright balls of white light that burn too bright for human eyes to peer at directly. As time passed, they began to take on more human-like appearances for the sake of interacting with the world. Angels are able to present themselves in any manner they choose.

</div><div class="bottom"><i class="icon-candle"></i></div></div>[/dohtml]
PM
#
QUOTE (wallflower @ Aug 23 2017, 08:21 PM)
how can it be either when i've just said it's happening across multiple browsers and on different devices?

Perhaps something in the rendering engine(s) changed as I stated. I decided to take exactly what you have posted and try it on a totally blank slate, away from the forums. The word "choose" is on a new line there too. Here is the scratchpad link, just your template alone:

http://scratchpad.io/famous-writer-1335

The text simply does not fit cleanly within 360px. It must be 380px. I don't know why it behaved differently for you before; sorry that I can't be of more help here. If anything -- the results here on scratchpad prove that this isn't a JFH issue.

signature
#
rendering engines that would effect me and someone in ireland in the same way?

that scratchpad doesn't have my font on it tho. but i'm not sure how we've just imagined that things were different for eight months but i guess we did.
PM
#
Locality has nothing to do with rendering engine. I did not say that you imagined it; but I don't know how to help you solve this. You are right that the scratchpad doesn't have your font in it but I see that you've embedded it and the results are exactly the same.

Which leads me to believe that maybe the issue could be the font. If Google modified the spacing of that font in ANY fashion, it would have absolutely thrown off any previous justification; hence a possible rendering issue... it is really hard to say otherwise though looking at the scratchpad. I copied it verbatim; and yet the results are the same when the forums are taken out of the equation.

signature
#
    Google updated their fonts recently. Because you embed them from Google themselves, the update affected you. A lot of their fonts now have spacing changes, and have been made sleeker with the engine they use to load them, as John said.

It wasn't imagined. My fonts and spacing changed too. You just have to adjust your templates going forward, unfortunately.
PM
#
wallflower there's the reason, definitely. Unfortunately any time an external font is used, such as with Google fonts, it can change without notice. Sorry that must be really frustrating but I can't think of any way around what they've done now.

signature
#
    If you use a non-embedded font, such as calibri, arial, tahoma, you won't suffer from the same problem as you're experiencing here.
PM
#
I'm trying to find any information regarding this change as I would like to post an announcement about it but can't find it anywhere. Seems google may have just changed things without saying anything, or buried the changelog somewhere..

signature
#
multiplicity! sadly those fonts are all ugly tho so it balances i suppose.

this is worse than what they did to montserrat seems like a terrible way to run things i don't really understand why they do this so much.

thanks for finding the answers for me guys. i did try to find it on the font myself before but i couldn't even figure out what to look for so i figured if no one else was complaining about it it wasn't a google thing.
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | General Support | Next Newest »

Options Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll