Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Pros and Cons
#
I've just decided to start a discussion on pros and cons of this board as opposed to other services you've used in the past. I'm pretty sure you can't name other hosts (but correct me if I'm wrong?) so I wouldn't encourage naming other hosts.

I know I have already posted about this host in the past (a few months ago). The layout is a lot easier to use than the previous host I've used including in the ACP where EVERYTHING's categorized. I can't remember what the ACP on the other host was like but if I remember correctly it wasn't as organized as the ACP here. The owner of the other site was a great person, though before he did something everyone hated.

One major improvement on this host is that while going to the ACP it opens in a new tab. The other host (I'm sure most other hosts if not all) open in the same window so every time you needed to do some tweaking you'd need to close your ACP check out the changes, open ACP and do more tweaking until you get it just right. In this host you can open your ACP (in a new tab) and do whatever tweaking you need to do rather than closing and re-opening the ACP every time.

I've been with this host for the past few months already and haven't found anything to complain about. I can honestly say I see myself staying here for a long time.

The only annoying thing (which of course happens to all other networks out there) are the server hiccups. On a good day you just get DC for a few seconds...worst case scenario are anything that causes the servers to go down for anywhere from several minutes to several hours...if not even days.

One thing I love about at least a few hosts is the person(s) who run them are extremely knowledgeable and know what they're talking about and doing.

It is sad though that there are quite a few hosts out there who don't give crap about A. Users B. Up-time C. The biggest: Maintenance. I've heard in the past there's at least 1...or at least a small number of hosts who don't do squat in terms of reliability or maintenance. And I'm guessing there are also some out there who charge a fortune for premium?

If I remember correctly I've also posted in my other thread in Feedback and Discussion, that even setting up the permissions is a lot easier than the other host I've previously used. You would ACTUALLY have to first Add the group to a dialogue box, then "Add Permissions". You could then, while creating a new forum, "Copy Permissions" if needed.

But here? There are 5 (I think?) forum masks on the same page while creating new forums or editing previous ones. I can't tell you how much time it saves especially because you can select multiple permissions at once. Sure beats doing them one at a time which is extremely time-consuming.

If anyone asked, I'd more than likely send them here. It is hard to find a good, reliable host out there. I'm sure there are some hosts out there where users create a forum, doesn't like the layout or system etc and leave.

Sorry for the long post, but just can't say enough about how much I love this host and it's ease of usage.

One last thing, for those who wish to do so, feel free to let me (us) know why you left your last host.
PM
#
I've used a variety of boards in the past, but honestly, Jcink is my favorite. I'll try to give you a concise list of the big points with the different boards

Icyboards
  • Allows mature content (for free), HOWEVER, the way they have it is a HUGE legal risk with the deal they have with google and everything
  • If you know how to skin, there's a good amount of skin bases out there for it
  • A lot of customization to allow you to customize just about every part of the board (however if you're a total newb to owning boards, this feature can easily be overwhelming)
  • Pretty responsive staff

MyBB
  • Allows adult content but if you have a question about any part of your board, the admins can NOT answer it (forget the exact reasons why, but I've seen this question on their official message board)
  • Very customizable, but easy to get overwhelmed if new to owning boards
  • Basically same stuff as Icyboards since Icyboards is a version of Icyboards

Invisionfree
  • LOTS of skins and modification codes because it's been around awhile
  • Staff/admins of Invisionfree have virtually abandoned it, which is "good"for some because that means people get away with breaking TOS like crazy, "bad" because you're basically up a creek if something goes wrong with your board
  • Extremely popular in the RP realm
  • Can't do sub forms within sub forms
  • No adult content according to the TOS

Zetaboards
  • Made to be the "new and improved" version of IF (invisionfree), but a lot of people from IF were not a fan of it and many of the pre-made skins
  • Many people say it feels "too clunky" and is catered more towards video game enthusiasts
  • Responsive staff, but I've heard quite a bit of unprofessional encounters with the staff (immature comments and things of this nature)
  • There's a kind of good amount of pre-made skins out there, but a lot of say these pre-made skins aren't exactly aesthetically pleasing ("too clunky" is a very common complaint)
  • No adult content

Jcink (Free)
  • The "core" of Jcink is IPB (invisionfree powerboard), the same as IF. So it's easy to transition if you "grew up" on IF, relatively
  • VERY responsive staff and handles critique professionally
  • No adult content (but if you go to premium, a by monthly or by yearly payment, you get adult content, and some other nifty features)
  • LOTS of pre-made pretty skins, as well as customization codes
  • The board comes "built in" with a lot of nifty features (like a member legend) that otherwise, you might have to go code hunting for
  • Tagging feature is very useful (unsure if this exists outside of Jcink, honestly)

Jcink (Premium)
  • The "core" of Jcink is IPB (invisionfree powerboard), the same as IF. So it's easy to transition if you "grew up" on IF, relatively
  • VERY responsive staff and handles critique professionally
  • Adult content is allowed
  • LOTS of pre-made pretty skins, as well as customization codes
  • The board comes "built in" with a lot of nifty features (like a member legend) that otherwise, you might have to go code hunting for
  • Tagging feature is very useful (unsure if this exists outside of Jcink, honestly)

Proboards (or whatever they wanna call themselves now)
  • Been around a long time and thus has lots of pre-made skins (both for the old and new version)
  • Admins/staff of Proboards have a history of questionable interactions with the people who use their services
  • No adult content
  • Huge member base because they've been around a long time
  • Skinning can be aggravating, depending on how you learned to skin

Invisionfree Power Board (IPB)
  • Comes with a LOT of features
  • There's pretty, professional, pre-made skins
  • Can be VERY pricey with plans

Some of these lists are a little 'sparse' because I haven't personally tried them out, or have looked into the features for them in awhile. Some are geared more for the "roleplayer" community, others are more "general" (the Jcink resource community, official one, markets themselves as a roleplayer resource, BUT Jcink can easily be adapted to other needs).

Hope this helps, Cronus !

signature
RP Genres I love: Historical Fiction, Arranged Marriage, Mutants (Xmen), Vampires, Anime (message for specific); Jcink/IF preferance; your site fit this? Hit me up with a PM user posted image
YA Book Feedback Wanted!
Survey, 100% Anonymous (Google Docs) Sexual Orientation!
*New*My Tumblr!

Pomo community wants YOUR feedback on their new forum!
Help me grow my pokemon user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
PM
#
Really appreciate the kind words! We try very hard. When I first started looking for web hosting as well as forum hosting back in 2000, it was a lot harder back then to get set-up. The worst part for me was lack of communication and any care to upkeep. That's why I'll jump out of bed at 3AM to figure out what's going on and fire off a tweet that I'm aware of an issue and working on it -- as long as I'm able to do so.

signature
email: admin@jcink.com :: blog: John C.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Feedback and Discussion | Next Newest »

Options Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll